FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Howdy.

So this morning I go out to start my car (Its about 5 degrees mind you) and when I try to close the door, it just bounces back off the hinges. I was a little bit surprised, to say the least. So I tried again and again and again...and no luck. This was quite frustrating to say the least, and made me late to work. So, I checked the strike plate and the latch (both looked fine) but when I tried the interior handle, it stayed up.

So, my thought is that somehow the cable between the door handle and the latch was frozen in the "open" positon. Can anyone confirm/deny what this might be? Anyone know how to fix it?

I would be most greatful if anyone has any ideas, because its a pain in the a$$ to not have your doors shut.

Thanks in advance for the help!

~Bug

·
Registered
319 Posts
ahaha sorry i cant help ya really, but it just reminded me of back in the day when i drove a big blue 95 chevy astro van.. one day the passenger door wouldnt shut..... bungee cords to the rescue.. damn that was SOOOOO ghetto.... until i got home and my mom showed me the little piece on the hinge that gets caught.. ahaha... ::sighs:: what memories....

Laci

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes ghetto is the best thing...keeps your ride from getting stolen, or at least from people hitting it in the parking lot. Also keeps away those pesky tailgaters.

I wish it was as simple as a hinge or the latch...but I guess Ill just keep looking.

Perhaps if anyone else has had a revelation....

~Bug

·
Registered
15,392 Posts
It probably is the latch. You should be able to move it back into place with a screwdriver. My guess is that it has moisture in it which froze, making it difficult to move. You probably need to clean and lube it. If WD-40 doesn't work, remove the latch and clean it as best as you can and lube it with something that won't freeze.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I figured it was the latch somehow, but I couldnt figure out why. IT did it again this morning, and irritated me to no end. So, I figured I would play with it and got out a screw driver and just sorta wedged it in there until something worked.

So, I went and bought some white lithum grease (for metal to metal stuff) and sprayed a bunch of that in there and worked the latch back and forth with the screw driver for a while. Hopefully that will help, and if there is any ice or water in there it wont grab the latch anymore.

Thanks for the advice!

~Bug

·
Registered
15,392 Posts
The WD in WD-40 stands for water depletion. It's not recommended for a latch lubricant, but it might be OK to use as a first attempt to clean it out before you lube it with something good. I'm still guessing that it's more of a moisture problem than a binding problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there.

Yeah, I got to read the whole history of the stuff at one point ( I was really bored) It got its name because it was a water displacer, and its formula #40 that they had come up with. The company wasnt going to sell it, but they realized they were on to something when all of the employees were taking the stuff home to use.

I was thinking of using it, but when I looked at the latch, it looks like its all covered in plastic and relatively clean. Also, its been so cold here that there is only ice, not liquid water. Once it warms up to above freezing again, Ill try to clean it all out then lube it again with the white lithium.

Thanks for the help!

~Bug

·
Registered
25 Posts
thats funny, because my door did the same thing the other day...i changed my girlfriends alternator and had to jump her battery afterwards, and my driver side door wouldnt open. i went in through the passenger side and kicked it open from the inside, and then it wouldnt close right. bummer...it works now, though, so thats sweet.

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
so basically al you guys are going throw the same thing i am. my door is frozen shut and the latch only catches the secondary lock sometimes do to being so damn cold.

NEUMAN

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
You need to remove the water first. The WD 40 suggestion is a very good one. Use that first them white lithium. If it had been lubricated per the shop manual its whole life, there probably wouldn't be a moisture problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
I have removed door latch assemblies to clean/lube them, and its surprising they work at all -- after 15 to 20 years of use.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Third on WD40*, ace stuff... :thumbsup:

If that doesn't work... try a squirting in a bit of rubbing alcohol until the lock unsticks, then chase the melt out with the WD. Make sure you use rubbing alcohol at 90%+ purity, not the 70% stuff.

* except on motorcycle chains. Many, many, morons swear by WD-40 to lube O-ring street chains, because it worked on their ancient non-O-ring dirtbike chain. Don't do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts