FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

So I need some help from those who have more experience with me at the art of bodywork. (This implies anyone who has done anything with a body of any vehicle has more experience than me) So anyway, a friend of mine was hit a little bit ago in a hit and run type thing in their drivers side door. There is a pretty good sized dent and a piece of trim missing. I have the trim, but need plastic connectors for it (Im thinking the local NAPA will have them) However, I need to pull the dent.

So, to pull this I have heard a few different things, and I dont want to drill any holes in the panel. I dont have the skill or the time for sanding, priming, bondo, etc. There are a few holes in the door already from where the trim was. So, in theory, if I could get something inside the door and thread a slide hammer into it and pull the dent.

However, the other thing I heard was to just try and use a regular plunger on the dent. To smear some vaseline on the thing, jam it into the dent and yank out as hard as I can to try and get it.

Has anyone tried to pull a dent this way? If so, any tips?

Your help is much appreciated in advance.......

~Bug

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I've heard good things about the "ding king" which is that plunger on a metal bar sold by that loud f4gz0r with the goatee on television...

if you just want it fixed really quickly, use one of those. To do it "right" it involves pulling the dent (drilling a hole and pulling- it actually isn't all that hard) and then bondoing and then re-painting. Pretty simple but takes a lot of time to get a seamless finish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

The only problem with the "right" way is that I am still at school, and have none of my tools or anything here. (yep, gotta love the trimester) So, Im looking to do less damage than the car has now. I mean, even if I just snap the trim back on it will look better than it does now. I would just like to plunge the dent back out if I could.

And I think I would need a King size Ding King for this dent, its not like its just a ding, its a big ol dent.

Any other thoughts?

~Bug

·
Registered
609 Posts
As the resident Ding-King/Pops-A-Dent expert, I will tell you this:

NOTE: From this point on the Ding King or it's equivalent will be referred to as the DK.

The DK won't really work too well on dents larger than an average person's fist (I've got large hands, so I use my wife's fist as a measuring tool [leave it alone you guys]).

The DK won't work too well on dents smaller than a nickle/dime.

The DK IS NOT to be used on aftermarket paint jobs, it could very well pull the paint right off of your car.

The DK does not using a suction action to pull dents, it uses a hard plastic peice in the middle (the thing commonly mistaken for a suction cup) and some "specially formulated" hot glue stuff. If you've ever used a hot glue gun, that's what it's like.

The DK is best used when it is cool outside, not cold - the body panels will be harder to pull, and not hot - the "hot glue" won't harden enough to stick to the body and pull it.

I recommend wrapping the center post (you'll know what I mean if you use it) with a cold and wet paper towel after you stick it to the car.

If you have any more questions about this or any equal style piece of equipment, feel free to send me a PM or email.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I know Craftsman makes something thats the same thing. Since I need it relatively soon, I guess Ill have to go check it out. Ill stop by the dollar store and grab a plunger while I am at it :)

Ill let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the quick response.

~Bug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.