FEOA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Thanks Trencher. I just tried your mod last night and it worked, with a slight twist.

For some reason, I had a little more congestion under my steering column than your pics showed, and I didn't have enough clearance to 'clock' the white switch assembly around past the opening for the little nub plunger.

So, I took a cable tie and tie'd the nub plunger down into the 'off' position. I then rotated the white switch assembly back to it's orignal position and even had enough space (with the cable tie) to put the old screw back (just to keep everything snug).

Trim back in place and I was good to go. Ahhh, blessed silence! No more of my Scort reminding me my door is open....seriously, are we drivers too lazy to open our eyes and LOOK for an open door, that we need an audible alarm???

Thanks again!

The pics in this how-to seems to be broken at the moment. Too bad, I wish I could see exactly what the guy was doing in the pics.

I attacked the annoying door chime problem tonight. I took the little white switch apart to see what's inside and shoved a piece of plastic up in there to prevent the switch pieces from making contact.

Gonna try it

I can't believe I found this thread, even if it's been a while since anyone posted. I will be the HUGEST star in my wife's eyes if I can make her 95 Tracer wagon SHUT THE HELL UP where the key-in-ignition beeper is concerned. I loosened the three bolts under the wheel housing (there's one by the tilt adjustment arm too) but the whole plastic housing seems as one, although there is a seam. Is there a trick to getting the bottom separated? Should I just force it? Squeeze it? Pull real hard? I'm great at breaking things so I thought I'd ask a pretty easy one.

Huzzah and voila! After finally getting the steering wheel shround off (there was a fourth screw I didn't see) I tried getting into the little white box but after taking the screw off it wouldn't budge. So I closed my eyes and snipped the white wire. Blissful silence from the key chime. Thanks for the help, and confidence to try this myself.

Thanks Macgyver4 and others. Saw this thread a year ago and remembered it. Needed to get this done as the chiming has gotten worse on my second gen. Used to be I could turn the key all the way off and it wouldn't chime with the key out and door open. Now it's started chiming all the time- key in the ignition or not. My doors are left open a lot being a musician and loading gear in out of the doors and the tailgate. The damned noise has been making me dizzy!!! So popped off the shroud and the piece of plastic and decided to just duck tape the button on the back of the white piece of plastic. Now the chime will only sound if I leave my lights on- and I can open the door with the key in ignition or out and no chime. Perfect!

John

Trencher said:
This is a quick how-to on removing the door chime. There is 2 ways of doing this. The first way requires effort, and the second requires less effort, but the lock cylinder has to work.

Tools Required: Philips Screw Driver. (Why you can't use your own screw driver I don't know. It has to be philip's. :D )

Step 1: Find the steering column. Sometimes that can be a problem. So here's the picture of what it looks like.

Step 2: Remove these screws and split the bottom column cover off. Take care not to rip the lamp socket apart.

Step 3: Remove this screw. You can't see mine because it's not there. I did this project at a tailgate party in the pasture and lost it.

Step 4: Be very carefull!! Lightly lift on the bottom of the switch and clock it to the left. Like I show in the picture. If the plastic looks like it's stretching on top then get a needle nose plier and loosen the top screw just a little. Then try to clock the switch to the left. Reassemble everything and you're done.

The second way of doing this is even easier. The lock cylinder plunger has to work. Do not take anything apart. Drop the column adjust lever, turn the key on, and take an old feeler gauge and jam it up between the switch and the cylinder. Snap the excess off and your done. However if the lock cylinder plunger worked then you wouldn't be doing this mod. :D
I found an even easier way and you keep your headlight, and your key on warning with getting rid of the door chime just cut the white wire going to the white plug shown in step 4....thanks for this post i would of never found it with out you

Bringing up an oldy but goody here.

I took my colum apart an seen that I couldn't twist my white thing either. I pulled the white wire (with orange markings I believe) out and taped the end up. Just my alternative to actually cutting it.

I highly recommend this as the lights still trip the beeper.

What I did to the back doors of my wagon was unscrew the holdings for the little black buttons and cut the wire... I was trying to work, the beeping was giving me a tumor!

koolwhipman said:
Bringing up an oldy but goody here.

I took my colum apart an seen that I couldn't twist my white thing either. I pulled the white wire (with orange markings I believe) out and taped the end up. Just my alternative to actually cutting it.

I highly recommend this as the lights still trip the beeper.
I took this approach on my 98 sedan. The box had a snap on cover, no exterior screws. Two wires with screw in terminals were inside and I unscrewed one terminal, removed the wire, and taped it off.

A few tips from my experience:

I used a screwdriver that turns 90 degrees near the tip it worked well for me.

Disconnecting the negative battery cable is a must. I blew the same fuse twice when "testing" with the contact removed before I taped it off.

Clear your drivers side floor mat of all tools, debris, etc to speed the search for the little spring that pops out.

Don't do this mod when it is 90 degrees outside, sweat will run in your eyes while your are upside down under the column.

fellas, is there a way to make the pictures come up because all they are is an "x" in a box and i am not that good of a direction follower. I really want to get this done, and done the right way so it will still beep if my lights are on and all, but like i said, without the pictures i am pretty much screwed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.