FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was reading about short throw shifters for older cars such as fieros ect, and they said if you know of a shop that would carry large enough tap and dye sets you can tap them out shorter and then cut off the rest.
or why not just cut here and there and then re weld the 2 pieces back together?:?:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I made my own short throw shifter, I like it, it's not as smooth as a pro shifter but it's nice! A LOT nicer than stock, a 50% less throw but it's rough to engage into gears at high rpm! I cut above the ball I cut it long, below I cut it off shot, flipped the ball of the shifter so the long cut is on the bottom and short on the top, it moves the pivot point under the car more which is less throw, if you put some length back in the top of the shifter then it'll bring it back to stock height and the throw will still be quite a lot less. yes cut and weld method works great! if you're handy with tools takes you 1/2 an hour or so, be sure to put something inside the shifter then weld it, an old bolt or something, the shifter's hollow, so put something in there so the shifter has less chance of breaking, I had one short throw shifter I cut and weld break while I was driving, it was actually amusing while I was driving I'd pull the whole shifter out and just hold it in my right hand, when I needed to shift that bolt I put in there saved me, put the shifter back over it and I could still shift :p

that's my input :D

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Cutting and welding the stock shifter isn't a true short shifter in sense. What I am meaning by that is it's only lowering the shift handle and not truly making it a short throw. The same mechanical effort will be needed with a shorter handle is all. The method works fine, not trying to criticize anyone or method.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah that ebay short throw shifter works great, I'd like it over my cut and welded shot throw shifter.

YES it does take the same effort to shift a little more actually, I shoulda lengthened the shifter so it's the same length inside the car just longer on the bottom, that's a short throw shifter. and I am actually going to do that so it's not so dang hard to shift! it's too hard to snap into 2nd at high rpm, and it's starting the 2nd gear grind :( my old trans did the same thing but really bad and all the time, /me thinks it's time for a trans fluid change again, using plain 10W30 motor oil, change when metallic!

the cut and weld method works for just utalizing your stock shifter and making it better, it's mostly free because you already have the shifter just time and effort and tools and when you do it just bring the shifter inside the car back to stock height and make it longer on the bottom, then it'll be a sweet shifter man

would that be a true short throw Lowetgt? not trying to bash on ya and I know you're not bashing on me it's all good!!! :D and Dennis if I woulda known how nice an ebay shorty woulda been... I woulda just bought one, but I'ma make mine longer so it's not so rough to engage! yeah! :D

4 inch cone filter FTW!!!!!!! kk I'm done sorry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.