FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I was crusin' down the freeway at about 70mph in 5th gear. I had to pass, so I floored it and outta the blue, my engine reved up to 4500 from 3500, and then kinda drifted back down to about 3700 and started to speed up. I'd never had it do this before, but now it's acting real strange... Now, if I rev up to 5k and drop the clutch, it doesn't peel out any more, it just takes off. After I do that, if I'm in 2nd or 3rd just crusing and I floor it, it'll do that thing where it doesn't catch right, and it revs high and drifts down as the engine catches...

I don't know what's wrong with it, but I'm thinkin' it's the clutch... :( :( :( :x

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuck. I want a clutch I can beat the hell out of though.... hrmmm... what's a good place to go looking for clutches (Internet or actual stores)?

Should I get a racing clutch or dual centerforce or something? I do double clutch a lot and I ride my car pretty hard too....

·
Registered
911 Posts
ok my first remark is this....

for double clutchers and clutch dumpers out there

our tranny isnt meant for that...you will tear it up just like i did...when i first got my gt, i dumped all the time and did it for a while....well, we dont have a posi track or any sort of limited slip system on our cars. Meaning when u dump clutch, the wheel with the most grip grabs... If u look in the transaxle, there are gears all around the 2 axles...these are called planetary gears(some other names too) each time you do it, you are grinding these gears....and if u keep doin it like me, my gears ended up chewing trhough the shaft connecting the transmission to the transaxle. It shot one part of it out the top of the case right next to the speed sensor and the other half shot into the bell housing.

2 weeks before it was completely shot i got my first warning sign and i disregarded it. One day on my way home i couldnt shift into 2, 4, or revere gears...like somethign was blocking it... i had to pull over and for a half hour i tried forcing the gears...well it went away and i went home and figured nothign more about it. That night i was headed for a 2 hour drive to cincy and i couldnt shift down again...i pushed as hard as i could to get into 4th and finally got it....that was the last of the experience till 2 weeks later, going down the road i hear a bam.....then i couldnt shift again...then i lost 5th gear and first. so i use third gear...well something else happend. My 3rd gear was slipping so i drove the 10 miles and parked it...took the tranny out 2 weeks later...opened the case and saw that a piece of the case was lodged in the linkage.... then found that my planetary gears were completely screwed..and my clutch was drenched in tranny fluid...had to replace clutch and tranny because of the ordeal.

second point is....what do you mean by "beat the hell out of" if you want something that has a decent grab, i got a stage 2 clutch and have been pretty happpy with it thus far...my only complaint about my swap is that the syncro for my new tranny for 2nd gear is kinda shitty cuz it grinds unless the tranny rpm's are low.

but there's nothing cooll about "beating on your transmission..." but then again clutch dumps are essential for racing...so i guess dont think its invincible...just tryin to prevent what happened to me again..i sure as hell am not spending another 600 bucks on a new tranny and clutch ever again.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
racing clutch+street car=not good.

replace the stock clutch and beat the hell out of it, when it explodes, get a new one...then beat the hell out of it and when it explodes, get a new one...then realize you shouldn't beat the hell out of it and stop. :wink:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
James92Scort said:
racing clutch+street car=not good.

replace the stock clutch and beat the hell out of it, when it explodes, get a new one...then beat the hell out of it and when it explodes, get a new one...then realize you shouldn't beat the hell out of it and stop. :wink:
you, my friend, are the smartest guy i know.
i was just about to post the same exact thing.
1. get the autozone cheapie.
2. use it till it don't work anymore.
3. repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. :D

It's not too bad right now, but I know in a good 6 months I'll be putting a new one in. As for beating the hell out of it, I don't do it intentionally. I just try to factor in that I grind the gears occasionally and I ride it high sometimes too. As for dumping the clutch and double clutching, I generally don't do that too often unless I'm racing someone (which is usually once in a while on a Saturday night.). I was just purely wondering if I should get a nicer clutch so that it'd last me longer and be able to withstand the occasional unnecessary abuse.

I'll probally just do the recommended factory replacement setup (simply because it's only $575 instead of $900) and just treat it nicer than I've treated this one (although it is the original clutch and I did just roll my odometer over to 114 K, so it's not all my fault)

·
Registered
735 Posts
sorry... you're getting a stock clutch for $575? i believe i saw a nice kit around the internet for less than $150, hope you aren't getting screwed. oh, and never ever ever ever ever hold a hill with you clutch :) or you can join me in the stupid club.

·
Registered
709 Posts
James, I agree with you. When I had to replace the clutch in my 94 when I bought the car, I put in the 130 dollar autozone cheapie. Lifetime warranty. I have put about 120,000 miles on that clutch with a lot of city driving, and my general love of burnouts. It still grabs hard, and doesn't slip a bit. I figure that when it does, I will just take it back to autozone and tell them that I need to warranty my clutch. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.