FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to do the water pump on my 94 egt and the dipstick doesnt wanna pop out of the block lip making it a pita to remove the pump inlet bolts.

any tricks to getting the thing out? ive got the pump loose from the block but with the power steering pump in the way (i may just delete it completely along with a relatively useless ac for our MN weather) i need to get in from that side!

Also, im having a helluva time getting the snout bolt loose so i can get the plate between the timing gear and the pulley off to change the timing belt while the front end is apart. ive hit it with PB blaster and heated it with a butane torch (i know not the hottest but its all they had at my tiny po-dung hardware store locally) the proceeded to hit it with an impact wrench. no luck.

any tips on that as well? that belt needs replacing and without that snout bolt loose ill end up having to run it till it pops then do it later anyways :(

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have had to remove the dipstick tube on other cars, but not on the BP yet. I believe it's lightly pressed in with and o-ring seal. In the past, I have found a bolt that fits well into end of tube and get vice grips to go on the outside of tube. Wiggle, twist and pull out, but be careful to watch the entire length of tube to make sure it is not kinking. The tube may get marred up FYI. The bolt will help prevent collapse of the tube. Spray some penetrate to the tube to help loosen the curd up also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i was doing mine this weekend, have the same problem, the dipstick doesnt come out, actually , it doesnt need to, what i did was to remove the powner steering reservoua and the other cylindric black thing next to it(dont know the name) and just move them out of the way, that is going to give plenty of room.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you don't need to remove the dipstick tube to change the water pump on a BP, I removed the water pump pulley, both belts, timing cover, and got the water pump out with out ever touching the dipstick tube, so I know I was able to do the WP with out removing it, I know it's in there fairly tight if you do try to remove it put pliers at the base of it make sure you remove that 10mm bolt that holds it on, and just twist and pull up carefully, don't wanna break the base of the tube off where it goes in!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem resurfaces 12 years later...

My engine is fully disassembled. The new oil pump came with only a plug for the dipstick tube hole, so the old dipstick tube will need to be removed from the old pump. I've tried heating the assembly and even moderate force with no luck.

Has anyone successfully removed the dipstick tube from a 1.8L without destroying it? If so, how? And what about installation on the new pump? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'd first measure up your old pump consulting the shop manual, and if it is still okay, just reuse it. They rarely wear out, since they are well oiled!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd first measure up your old pump consulting the shop manual, and if it is still okay, just reuse it. They rarely wear out, since they are well oiled!
Hi - In my case a failed connecting rod bearing put enough metal through the pump that the friction surface is scored. A new pump is warranted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts