FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my differential in my zx2 went out last monday.. its been in the shop now for a week (although it was supposed to be out on friday).. they havent been able to locate a differential for the zx2 unless I want to pay $750 (part only) from ford (Im already gonna pay 975 for a rebuilt one and having it installed).. anyway the question..

Will the LSD that they sell for the focus fit into the zx2 transmission. I've been told yes but the shop says they dont know.. If anyone knows please god tell me quick..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome.. thanks for the link.. sorry about the delay in replying but Ive been at work like everyday.. um.. symptoms were a really bad grinding and hopping of the wheels.. I at first thought it was the cv.. until I put it up on blocks and spun the wheel and could hear the internals of the tranny tearing apart..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess you are quite certain it is the differential then. An interesting test I learned from a friend of mine when changing transmission fluid, is that the transmission gears are supposedly made of a non-magnetic alloy, whereas, the differential gears ARE made of a magnetic alloy. If you take a strong magnet and run it through your transmission fluid, you should get a good picture of the state of your differential by the amound of garbage you pull out of the fluid. A little bit is fine, a lot -- well, you might need a differential rebuild.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HAHA Differential for $75 from ford.. ok where are you from.. My quote for a new one from ford was 750 and for a rebuild 350.. now when I was looking I could have gotten a rebuilt from CA for about 200..

By the way guys.. It was the differential completely obliterated..ended up just getting the transmission out of a wrecked Zx2 and having it put in.. ened up costing me 954 parts and labor.. (yes I did make sure they went over the used trans to make sure nothing was wrong.. and I got a warranty on it.. :) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts