FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i read the other post and i came up with nothing, so i figured i would post my own. Anyway i deck lid rattles BAD ( mainly on certian songs) what can i do to stop it? I pushed down on it and it stoped so thats how i know what it is. ne ideas ? i have a 95 LX ( sedan)

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
I have a thought but I can't say if it will work.
Turn out the rubber stoppers so there is more force(or SOME force if there was none before) pushing back up on the lid when it is closed. The lid will be harder to close, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
I was thinking your trunk lid, which is really called the decklid, but now I think you mean the parcel shelf. So I'll start over:

I have no frikkin' idea!

J/K
The carpeted panel that sits on the steel of the parcel shelf is not secured well at all in any car, and you have added conditions for which it was not designed, So you'll have to figure out a way to fasten the panel down so it's not so loose. Maybe try velcro or something. Maybe that's not enough. Screws would do it, lots of them all over the top, but you can see them and you can't get the drill in there to screw them unless you take out the glass. You could drill up from below and use nuts and bolts,....
Wait I'm getting weirder. I'm all out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i just drilled two extra holes in mine and put screws that were secured by Nuts as well as double face taping some carpet to it so i couldnt hear it rattle!

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
You should be able to actually adjust the latch itself to make it tighter. Usually the mounting holes are oblong so you can adjust the tighness of closure.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I posted the answer to the trunk hatch rattle before. To eliminate the deck lid rattle, you can wrap bike innertube rubber around the little posts in front. In the back, I used the fuzzy side of velcro strips. Works great.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
91sleeper said:
You should be able to actually adjust the latch itself to make it tighter. Usually the mounting holes are oblong so you can adjust the tighness of closure.
We already determined he was not talking about the trunk lid, but the parcel shelf.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Old thread, but I have an answer

I noticed this after putting in new speakers too. The carpet/cardboard shelf is only attached to the metal deck by three clips just behind the seat, the end by the window just floats. Use a bath towel as padding. Cut holes for the speakers, and secure it to the deck with double side tape. If you don't have a towel at home you can sacrifice, go to Goodwill. Use a thin towel, not a nice thick & fluffy one.

Another thought is it might be possible to reinforce the deck. Get a strip of metal 1" or 2" wide, 1/8" thick (hardware store or metal shop) and bolt it to the deck across the width of the car, either in front or in back of the speakers. Or put it in three sections (left side - speaker, speaker - speaker, speaker - right side) right in the middle. I haven't checked this out, so I might just be blowing smoke. :?:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts