FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all Im new to this. Just wondering if I can run a y pipe to two magnaflow mufflers on my 96 lx wag. Has anyone had this done?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'm pretty sure any kind of exhaust setup can be done on any kind of car, as long as there are places to put mounting brackets and such. The better question would be, is it worth doing? Admittedly, if not made to look to gaudy, dual exhaust has a very nice aesthetic appeal. If setup right, the sound would also be excellent. But IIRC, having so much exhaust piping had a negative effect on power gains, at least in the low band. Others can clarify this.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
eh. all it will be is extra weight. the LX motor has some pretty good torque, why would you want to hurt that by lessening the backpressure with more piping?

IMO dual pipes belong on V6s and V8s. I4s (even factory like the new Sunfire) do not need them. (unless say it's an SRT-4, which doesn't even have mufflers)

·
Registered
365 Posts
aesthertics for dual mufflers.....id rather stick to a single one if only in 4 cyl......6-8-10 id go for duals....(my old chevette had a 2.8/3.1(stroked) and true dual cherrybombs and a couple of go fast goodies).....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanx all i talked to the guy at the exhaust place and he said the same thing. Also what is the loudest muffler that you can buy besides flowmaster. I was wondering if anyone knows what borla and magnaflow sound like on these motors. Thanx all again.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Biggins2121 said:
ok thanx all i talked to the guy at the exhaust place and he said the same thing. Also what is the loudest muffler that you can buy besides flowmaster. I was wondering if anyone knows what borla and magnaflow sound like on these motors. Thanx all again.
If you want loud, and cops like to harass people with loud exhaust, i'd advise against loud exhaust.

Personally when I do my exhaust I'm going with a company called RS*R, they make one of the best flowing, yet still quietest exhausts out there.

me=quiet
my car must=quiet

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Go for a loud intake over a loud exhaust. The chamber in the fender where the stock intake is makes for a nice resonance chamber for the intake.

Loud Exhaust = loud at 2am

Loud Intake = loud at 2am only if you've got your foot into it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have made it a little clearer I dont want the loudest that I can get I was just wondering what was the loudest so that I dont get it. I want one with a low deep sound. I dont like the pi$$ed of weed wacker sound like most cars around here run with they just cut the muffler off and but a tip on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
almost all 4 cyls. are alot sounding like a bumblebee even if you put a flowmaster/cherrybomb/magnaflow/etc. if you want a low growl or low deep sound better get an 8 cyl car.....(my opinion though and dont want to make any arguments)....

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Beaverboy said:
Go for a loud intake over a loud exhaust. The chamber in the fender where the stock intake is makes for a nice resonance chamber for the intake.

Loud Exhaust = loud at 2am

Loud Intake = loud at 2am only if you've got your foot into it
werd to that, you guys should hear me get on it with my Injen CAI late night with my windows down and my stereo off. it's fuggin LOUD...but when I'm sitting at 2k rpm it's not loud at all and i can courteiously drive home without waking anyone up.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
James92Scort said:
IMO dual pipes belong on V6s and V8s. I4s (even factory like the new Sunfire) do not need them. (unless say it's an SRT-4, which doesn't even have mufflers)
I stopped by my local Dodge dealership yesterday morning (I like dealerships when there are no salesmen around), and checked out a nice SRT-4. I took a look underneath and saw that the dual resonators are inline. The exhaust doesn't split into two pipes until after the rear axle. :eek:

Mopar seems to have gotten the rest of the car right though. The seat bolsters in those things are amazing.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Even though I think that dual exhausts on anything less than a 6-cyl are SUPER-GAY, I can say that I have personally purchased, installed, and used the magnaflow turbo II muffler for 24 bucks for my sister's festiva, and it provides a nice fairly loud tone without sounding "farty" like those ricecans.

I personally think that quiet cars are much sexier, because a quiet exhaust lets you hear the revving at the top end much better, rather than just being obnoxiously loud and raspy.

My 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts