FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Naomi has wanted one since she was in 2nd grade. She is now in 8th grade top 5% of her school state A Student. So Rachel and I picked up her car. Thing is she has to help with the build and not sit by and watch.
It's a standard 66 bug from Oregon. Has some Cancer here and there. But i have friends that can help there.

But onto some project pics.

1 Very happy child.

Defiantly going to be a long project. Well 2 years till she will be driving.

· Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Hey Hugh, The car looks in pretty decent shape! I did get your PM the other day, but was in the middle of work stuff, and it slipped my mind. My uncle still has most of his VW graveyard. Let me know what parts you are looking for, and I can ask him.

I definitely suggest getting a JCWhitney catalog though. They have a HUGE selection of VW parts... hell... you could convert it into a Baja Bettle:

my uncle has 2 bajas... neither as nice as this one.

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be a mazda fan. BUT not that much. Im not big in crossing over hearts from differtn manufactuers. PLus a Vw motor gets way way better mialge. and parts are easier to had. lol PLus if i crossed hearts, Id put in a subbie flat 4. lol

BUt it will be her first car. Seh will get a better milage trans, probably a 1600-1776 with dual 44 carbs, at most. BUt a stock 1300-1600 to start. btu Disc brake swap and dropped spindles on it.

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paint job she wants a 2 tone Euro style, Dark BLue, butinstead of whit,r she wants Mettalic blue. and she wants slightly lowered front from stock height. (its her car and lettign her put the way she wants to). Even when i get my nothc back, sticking with Vw power.

Havent looked thorugh jc witney, BUt i know there are a ton of shops aroudn ym in the LBC. for parts, and alot of th einterior companies, (scat, TMI and such are around, Also west coast metric, there the number 1 in repoduction Rubber fo rhte cars is like 10 minutes form me. Interior will be black,

Only outside mods we are doing are, Fender turn signals, clear. Dont knwo rims yet. She is kinda likng the rims we have on there, but new, with moon caps. Doing a stock placement but ipod control radio. and probably a high back seat with head rest for safety, and 3 point seat belt.s

Cant see the pic you showed now dave. BUt i think mainly just sheet metal i will be looking for. BTU again the places here are cheap. ID just need to see hwat he has to see if there was something i could use? Unless he has a complete motors fo rdirt dirt cheap. lol

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
denisond3 said:
Congrats on your project. I would advise putting in a new throttle and clutch cable too.
Thats common sense. lol those are a 2 of the many things you alwauys have lying in the trunk. lol

Were doing a pan up on this car.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
LOL

· Super Moderator
10,547 Posts
The OP lives in Buena Park CA - so I dont think lack of heat in winters (or ice on the windshield) will be a problem.
Its the windshield washer that works off of the pressure in the spare, and supposedly only lets the tire pressure get down to 28-32 psi; You overfill the spare a little (to 38 psi maybe?). Anyway, with a beetle its not hard to reach all of the windshield for cleaning. The wipers themselves run off an electric motor I recall.
I had a 64 beetle for several years and 70,000 miles, and was delighted with how much fun it was to drive. I would still drive it if it were not for rust. I stopped driving it when I could see the ground going by underneath me in 3 places. Now days you can buy the replacement parts to weld-in extensive repairs to the floorpans, but mine now has a large locust tree growing up through it. (The motor still runs though).
My 68 year old sister & her hubby live in Long Beach and have a 67 squareback & 68 'bus' as their only cars.

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
denisond3 said:
The OP lives in Buena Park CA - so I dont think lack of heat in winters (or ice on the windshield) will be a problem.
Its the windshield washer that works off of the pressure in the spare, and supposedly only lets the tire pressure get down to 28-32 psi; You overfill the spare a little (to 38 psi maybe?). Anyway, with a beetle its not hard to reach all of the windshield for cleaning. The wipers themselves run off an electric motor I recall.
I had a 64 beetle for several years and 70,000 miles, and was delighted with how much fun it was to drive. I would still drive it if it were not for rust. I stopped driving it when I could see the ground going by underneath me in 3 places. Now days you can buy the replacement parts to weld-in extensive repairs to the floorpans, but mine now has a large locust tree growing up through it. (The motor still runs though).
My 68 year old sister & her hubby live in Long Beach and have a 67 squareback & 68 'bus' as their only cars.
Close. I got to change that. Moved to LOng BEach. BOught the car in Harbor city, IT was driven down from Oregon in 1993.

This one yes you fill the Washer fluid bottle to 25psi by itself but if you look into the picture fo the front trunk. See the little electric peice, that pulls the fluid from the tank to the squirter.
Not afraid of her driving. First 2 years while in school. not allowed ot have passengers. and well her school will be like 2 miles from the house. She is a good kid, and since she has to help with this, she already is startign to understand the nit pickeing and extra care of obessive car ownership. (she now understands why i am strict with the MS3). Floor pan on this is actually good. Just the heater channels and 1/4 panels. and 1 wheel well body mount. and bolt holes for the fenders. all peices needing rust repir, can be bought. new. and th efire wall is perfect also. so all the repair stuff is in th eeasy places. BUt the body will be coming off the pan! all new seals and coating and so on. basically doing a pan up build

· Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JUst a bit over the year. My side job of installing parts on newer cars. Has well gotten busy. and when we were about to pull the body off the pan. We got notice the owners fo the house wanted to move back in 2 years early. so we had to move in with in laws (free rent to pay of our debt) and car is at my wifes grandpas house. but we havent had a chance to grab stuff to work on. here is a few pics and stuff bought for now.

7/24/10-

NAomi actually working on her car.

Naomi and Rachel pulling gas tank

Tank out

Fresh from spa dogs want to play.

A mess to clean, and thats just one spot.

Some months back, Picked up 2 1300cc stock motors, One with all parts needs a few thing to run, IE fuel pump distributor and wire and plugs, Long block has the fuel pump, a 12 volt generator and stand. and will be used as a core down the road. for a newer motor.

2/23/11
Picked up POP OUT rear 1/4 windows, 50 for the set all parts. But with age need new ruber seals (30-40 bucks) and hinge chome needs some wort. but new the kits go for 350-450 new. and theseare original German glass and great condition.

3/3/11 FINALLY GETTIGN TO START ORDERING SOME PARTS.
Ordered new front beam, with adjusters welded in, stock to 3"lower, spindle to spindle rebuild. all German parts. (minus adjusters). new ball joints. was going to buy all 4 shocks but fronts were out of stock s just bought rears for now. Pics when beam is picked up. waiting for now. Hopefully ordering more parts this or next week.

3/7/11
Picked up new shifter with trigger for reverse, Trans mounts, steering coupler, new shift rod coupler, throttle and clutch cable and axle boots

3/31/11
picked up beam, and 2 front shocks. Since beam took so long to build The 2 sets of Rear torshin arm bushing they gave me, (hurray saving $25 bucks)
And some pictures of Naomi working on stripping front bream down, so we can pull it bring it in, $150 rebate to return old on in, hopefully buy more stuff.

· Super Moderator
10,547 Posts
Thanks for the update. It reminds me of some of my happiest driving moments -- in my 63 beetle. The car was so well designed as it was that I never wanted to change the mechanicals. I did get the seats re-upholstered in fabric, in exchange for changing a clutch and rear main seal on a Karman Ghia; and was always glad that I had done so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.