FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things; first gotta grumble

I tried searching so I wouldn't have to bother ya'll...... it returned 7131 "hits"............. then when I read the first 20 or 30 I go to the second page, and it says "no matches exist for your search"; I remember this from early this year; I never COULD get to page two.... oh well..... here's the question.

1993 LX 1.9 5speed; station wagon dash lights; have no idea how many there are, or how to get to them, are they normal filament bulbs? or something new tech? The ALL went out except the one on extreme right which shows Temp, AND VAGUELY an edge of the speedo at 80 mph, ha.

Seriously............ where to start? worth it? I can tolerate most "non-essentials" [being old and poor helps in that category], but when you can't read the mileage, the gas gauge, nor the normal speedo range, it's lacking something.

Is it worth it? where to start? another forum already DO this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
LariRudi said:
Two things; first gotta grumble

I tried searching so I wouldn't have to bother ya'll...... it returned 7131 "hits"............. then when I read the first 20 or 30 I go to the second page, and it says "no matches exist for your search"; I remember this from early this year; I never COULD get to page two.... oh well..... here's the question.

1993 LX 1.9 5speed; station wagon dash lights; have no idea how many there are, or how to get to them, are they normal filament bulbs? or something new tech? The ALL went out except the one on extreme right which shows Temp, AND VAGUELY an edge of the speedo at 80 mph, ha.

Seriously............ where to start? worth it? I can tolerate most "non-essentials" [being old and poor helps in that category], but when you can't read the mileage, the gas gauge, nor the normal speedo range, it's lacking something.

Is it worth it? where to start? another forum already DO this?
Simple filament bulbs, but about the only way to replace them is to pull the instrument cluster ( unless you have REALLY skinny hands/arms and are a master contortionist ) . the Chilton book covers the procedure pretty well.

Basic procedure is to remove two bolts holding steering column to support bracket, remove 6-8 (can't remember how man exactly) torx screws, remove shroud around cluster, disconnect speedo cable from trany sender, remove 4 more torx screws, gently pull cluster out while disconnecting two plugs and speedo cable from back of cluster.

Bulbs are blade type in a twist-out socket. There are four illumination lamps for the cluster, and 12 indicator lamps, all of the same type. Replace ALL FOUR illumination lamps, you don't want to do this again next week when #4 burns out.

Installation is the reverse of removal and the entire procedure takes me less than an hour, but I've had practice.:lol: Get the book, it has diagrams and more detailed instructions. ( Book will cost you more than the replacement lamps will, though )

Your favorite parts house should have the bulbs in stock, Sylvania 194LL, 3.78 watt. see link below.

Also, note that LED lamps are available, but don't dim as well as the filament ones.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...ight&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=175565

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LED dash lamps

Thx, very nice explanation you provided.

LED's don't dim as well? ha, ok with me............. I ALWAYS enjoy a bright dash; the brightness might disturb SOME people at night, but it's a pleasure to me to see clearly ALL THAT IS GOING ON, and it does NOT distract my night driving, so it's always turned to BRIGHT..... hmmmm, maybe why they burned out? huh?

Well, tell me, are the LED's as BRIGHT AS or DIMMER than the incandescent when turned to BRIGHT?

thx, sounds like you've got some good experience.

LarryR : )

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: LED dash lamps

LariRudi said:
Thx, very nice explanation you provided.

LED's don't dim as well? ha, ok with me............. I ALWAYS enjoy a bright dash; the brightness might disturb SOME people at night, but it's a pleasure to me to see clearly ALL THAT IS GOING ON, and it does NOT distract my night driving, so it's always turned to BRIGHT..... hmmmm, maybe why they burned out? huh?

Well, tell me, are the LED's as BRIGHT AS or DIMMER than the incandescent when turned to BRIGHT?

thx, sounds like you've got some good experience.

The brightness of the LED's depends on which ones you install. I stick with the standard lamps.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EscorGo said:
I recently fixed a similar problem. I ended just needing to clean the contacts on some of the sockets, The rest required new bulbs.
Be careful removing the dash panel, the connector for the rear defog is tricky.
How long would you say it took you to do this?

thx,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts