FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay im painting my interior. and i have the glovebox out the plastic under the steering wheel and i think one more piece. Now would it be easier to take out the whole dash. or to just tape everything off and spray it still in the car. If its easier to take the whole dash out how do i do that. are there things attached to it. Any help would be awesome

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Eaiser? It's definetly EAISER to tape it off and spray it in the car, but it will definetly look BETTER if you pull the entire dash out. Be warned, though, that thing is a beast to get out. It will probably take you several days of intermittent work.

Remember, you can spray all the perfume you want on a piece of ____, but it's still a piece of ____.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definately a pain in the a#@ to take the dash out. Took me 2 days to get it all apart and out. Actually took one out to replace mine, but after seeing what has to be done to take it out, I will be living with that little crack in my dash....so the answer to you're question....paint it like it is...
Later,
Nick

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
i would suggest removing the pieces to paint. you can cover all the areas much easier, you won't HAVE to tape/mask a whole lotta stuff, and there's no chance of then painting something you didn't want to, like the windshield! also, for best results, wash the pieces, then prime a coat or two, then paint multiple coats, then a couple clear coats for protection. it worked amazingly well for me, and was inexpensive and took a few days.

if you're not taking off the ENTIRE dash, but just the driver side piece covering the gauges and such, then it's really not that big of a deal. you just need patience, and a few days which you won't really need your car. borrow a parent's or something, or do it on an open weekend. i've painted much of my front dash (must upload pics soon, and setup my website soon...) and it really wasn't difficult. i just lose track of screws, i probably have 3 or 4 extra ones lying around now...

anyways, having a haynes/chilton manual helps exponentially, but they really aren't required. just take off one piece at a time, keep track of what screws went where, and just go at it. if a piece won't come off, gently pull at it, some pieces simply pop off. get a screwdriver and try and prod it off, but don't force it. if it just won't go, there's likely a hidden screw that another piece is covering (i can think of a few instances).

also, if you're taking out pieces surrounding the guages, you'll likely have to lower your steering column, which is only held in by 4 large bolts, and then just let it rest on the seat, it'll be fine. might wanna get a helping hand to get it back on though, it gets heavy holding it and trying to bolt it back in.

just take your time, and learn about your car. if u get frustrated, stop, and ask for help. good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts