FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '95 2dr LX and am having a terribly hard time trying to get the dashboard piece off my car. the spot in question is mainly the one where the lonely defroster button is located: i want to place some toggle switches.
i have removed all the the necissary screws & bolts and unhitched the dash component from the rest of the car, but it seems to be caught on something that is preventing me from removing it any further. is there an easy way to get this thing off? because i've seen people take off their dash piece w/o a problem to paint it and such, but is there something i am missing?

for a reference to what i mean, click here: (the 3rd page in nuke's cardomain page)

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/v ... 152&page=3

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
what exactly are you having trouble doing?

There should be some screws/bolts holding that piece onto the rest of the dash, after that it's just a guessing game on how to pull the bezel piece off without breaking it.

There were a few bolts on the bottom section right? That means there's a piece of plastic with a metal clip on it, the trick is to get the top to come out and to get the bottom to slide out and around it.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
James92Scort said:
There should be some screws/bolts holding that piece onto the rest of the dash, after that it's just a guessing game on how to pull the bezel piece off without breaking it.
Yup :roll:

Probably the most restrictive items on there are the wiring harnesses for the mirror and defroster controls. That was the biggest problem when I went to take mine off. You really got to squish your hand back there to get them off. Once you get those off it's pretty straight forward, just pull. Then again, I've got a 94. Ford could have added some special suprises between the dash change over that I didn't encounter.

Matt 8)

Matt

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the screws are definitely off,
i got past the mirror adjuster and defrost switches,
but it's like the shape of the dash piece is what's keeping me from going any further..

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Captian Obvious to the rescue :D

You did remove the bezeling around the steering column right? It wont come off if you don't.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that would be an obvious thing to miss, :lol: but i took that off as well. trust me, i wouldn't put up a post if i hadn't already checked every last option myself. it seems like the only easy way to take that f*cking thing off, is by removing the steering wheel. and that is something i am not inclined to do. but then again, i am starting to get a little desperate....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Captain Nearly As Obvious stepping in...

that would be an obvious thing to miss, but i took that off as well. trust me, i wouldn't put up a post if i hadn't already checked every last option myself. it seems like the only easy way to take that f*cking thing off, is by removing the steering wheel. and that is something i am not inclined to do. but then again, i am starting to get a little desperate....
Umm.. okay, so after you removed that bezeling around the steering wheel column, did you also remove the four bolts holding the steering column to the bottom of the dashboard (which are obscured by the bezeling) and allow the steering column and wheel to rest on the driver's seat? ...that's all I did to gain access to the instrument panel (and, as a step towards that goal, remove the dash bezel that you're trying to remove)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey, i think that might actually be it! :p because that is the only thing i didnt do in the project. now all i need to know is, do i have to disconnect my battery at all to do this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey, i think that might actually be it! because that is the only thing i didnt do in the project. now all i need to know is, do i have to disconnect my battery at all to do this?
Cool, glad I could help. :)

As for disconnecting the battery, that's your call. ;) I did the same dash panel removal on my car a while back, to install the defroster switch that James sent me to fill the gaping hole in my dash. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did that. On the other hand, reading through the Chiltons, Haynes, and Ford Service manuals, step one in any project is disconnecting the negative battery terminal. I'm guessing, in most cases, this is a safety issue -- to make sure the car won't accidentally start while you're working on it, or you don't ruin anything by inadvertantly causing a short, etc.

...and, on a completely unrelated note, I'll need to update my signature picture, I guess. That brush-bar looking contraption fell victim to a pneumatic grinder a couple weeks ago, and I've done some other things as well (polished headlights, clear corners, etc)

Anyway... good luck with your project, and glad I could help!

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
The Hazard switch is in the way and you have to lower the steeing column by undoing its bracket under the dash. It looks like you got it off already, but I can't be sure by the posts. If this was already mentioned and I missed it, my apologies. :D

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the help you guys! whenever i get a chance to work on it again, ill let you all know the results!
i appreciate it a lot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts