FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
SO talk about the do it yourself kind for a bit. Say one did print his own. Then what? Tape them over the original faceplate so that very little to no backlight shows through at night? If you know a place that could make them from your print so that they operate like the opriginal I would venture to bet that you wouldnt save any money at all over the price of an aftermarket set that you could have on your doorstep in a matter of days.
The only advantage I can see to making your own is that you could edit them to say whatever you want, i.e. 200MPH. But even with that, your speedo wouldnt be at all accurate anymore.
Ive printed a set up and they look good But they are completely useless as they dont let any backlight through, therefore I wouldnt be able to install them in the car.
For anyone that needs info on making your own, just take a look at how the original faces are lit and you can plainly see that it would be far worth the money to buy a set of faces that are manufactured for the purpose.
Heres some info that I would LIKE for someone to come up with that makes more sense than printing your own faces....Tell me how to install an actual 180MPH speedo into the factory location so it looks good and is functional. I like white faces too, but so far I havent seen a do it yourself set that is as functional as an aftermarket set. Anyone else with better ideas?

·
Registered
158 Posts
egtdude said:
it wouldn't be to hard. however its kinda of a cheesy way to do it. I've got the white face gauges for a pretty good price right now. Its a full face replacement not just an overlay.
Hehe. A guy in the US of A told me that he would do it for 20$ when it usually costs 40$. But I only got the 50% off since I was such a nice norwegian woman. And the best with this thing is that, im a guy :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
egtdude said:
I've got the white face gauges for a pretty good price right now. Its a full face replacement not just an overlay.
Those are a gorgeous stock replacement. I especially like how the tach doesnt show a color change for redline position which, I always thought would be subject to change with engine mods. Nice lookin. Im gonna buy a set of those Matt. Get one ready, hehe.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The indi-glow kind would make it so the lighting wouldn't be important. however... I never really liked the idea of a big ass blue lighting shining at me at night. blue is a horrible color for your eyes at night. I personally would love to put on the white gauge face I carry and change the lights to red behind it. I think that looks sweet plus its great for night vision. your eyes won't have as hard a time adjusting.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
DirtyJim said:
Those are a gorgeous stock replacement. I especially like how the tach doesnt show a color change for redline position which, I always thought would be subject to change with engine mods. Nice lookin. Im gonna buy a set of those Matt. Get one ready, hehe.
Jim:
I see you are missing it because there IS a color change at redline. It's just hard to see in that pic. I used to have those NR faces in my 93 EGT and you can read all about it in parts reviews

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ahhhh, I gotcha. I was looking at the pic on Matts website. It still doesnt look colorized on the site. It looks black and white except for the orange needles. No matter, the face in that pic above looks great as well with the blue lettering and all.
So clear me up here....Does the gauge face on Matts site have blue lettering only or can you get different colors like black letters on White faces?
Also, the stock faces never did well by changing the backlight bulbs' color.....the green color was part of the plastic in the stock face or something like that. Do the aftermarket faces not have this to where a bulb color change would be more noticeable now? That would be cool. Nonetheless, they all look great. Im not too crazy about the neon looking 5 color changing, disco wannabe faces either.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
http://www.corksport.com 65 plus 9 shipping. They come with a wire to go to a power and a ground with a knob to select blue or green and a dial to turn it up and down. They're really nice and once you pop off your needles they fit right over.

Day turned all the way down:

Day turned on:

Side note: I took off my old gauges, don't do that because the white light shines in from behind them. kinda takes away from the effect of the indiglo.

Matt has a good set but they're 50 dollars more expensive...that's the only thing I wouldn't buy from http://www.bareend.com (sorry matt)

*waits to get banned* :p

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
egtdude said:
The indi-glow kind would make it so the lighting wouldn't be important. however... I never really liked the idea of a big ass blue lighting shining at me at night. blue is a horrible color for your eyes at night. I personally would love to put on the white gauge face I carry and change the lights to red behind it. I think that looks sweet plus its great for night vision. your eyes won't have as hard a time adjusting.
:withstupid:

Red gauges are HOT. I'd prefer a plain black or a dark-brushed-silver-look background with red EL (electro-luminescent; Indiglo®) back lighting (and an orange/amber redline). I'm so sick of the blue light fad. :?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I agree with Beaverboy, I personally would rather have red or even a reddish orange color for the gauges at night. I love the way the white-faced gauges look, but for now I have more important things to worry about, like the performance of my 93 GT. I'm glad to see that there is still the possibility of having a thread that doens't just end up a shouting match. anyway that's my two cents worth [/offtopic]

·
Registered
114 Posts
i got mine from procarparts.com. they're very similar to "whitehot gt's". they were only $30 shipped and they came with a pair of blue headlights so i couldn't beat that price. they look just like the stock gauges, but white faced and reverse indiglo. i took pics but i haven't uploaded them yet. they were relatively easy to but in, but i had to drill a small hole for that stick thing that holds up the needle, but other than that it was easy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.