FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Tuning pplz,

Hope that you guys who like me live in the northern area of the continent are still working on your cars even if it's getting pretty damn cold out here !! BRRRRRRR 8O

Ok, so since my oem exhaust failed me last week, i've decided to cre8 my own exhaust system...just for the fun of doing it...as you maybe already know, the oem exhaust system is very curvy on the 2 gen LX..don't know about the GT version...but i guess it's not super straight either... so before i weld everything together...i'd like to ask you this simple question..

Is it hazardous to get the exhaust line to pass under the fuel tank? Cauz I though about doing this in order to make the line a little more straight...but then i though that if the ford techni. decided not to do so...it might be for a reason? Is it for a fuel economy purpose or is it really dangerous?

Or should it be to clear the line from the ground ? And would it be cool if i'd wrap the section that would go under the gaz tank with the what some pplz use around their headers ?

Tanx in advance for your inputs :)

Max

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well..i don't know how much he's asking for it...and probably better then mine, but mine cost me like... 20 $ :) and it's all mandrel-bent 2'' and 16 gauge steel pipes... and i've made my own straight through muffler for 10 $ too...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Matts exhaust system costs $300 and it is 2 1/4" mandrel bent with a magnaflow muffler and a simple crome tip.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
2" is a little bigger then factory, but 2.25" is what I ran for a long time and it gave big improvements, without taking away any torque. It was a good balance.

I wouldnt recommend going under the tank...my GT is pretty straight though. Goes straight back then goes to the pass. side over the suspension and then splits to go through duel mufflers.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i think i won't go under the gaz tank, cauz it would make the pipe too close from the ground ...so i guess i'll have to go with the original exhaust route ...ahhhh damn :) tanx for your advices

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
yikes! go around the gas tank. IF you go under for sure take the time to put some good heat shielding with good airflow between it and the tank. We have a plastic tank. That wouldn't work out to well for you. You could always go side exit if you really want low restriction but again that will take away a fair amount of ground clearence.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i know...that's why i won't do this thing..i guess it would be ok for the tank if i'd place a heat shield and wrap my line with high temp. fiberglass masking tape...would do the trick..caus anyways....the line is still very close to the gaz tank even if it goes around it....but then i though about another thing....

if i ever get my gaz tank to leak, placing the pipe under the tank would be very dangerous cauz the gaz would run all the way down to the middle of the tank and then BIG badaboum!! :)

yeah....a side exhaust would be cool..but i don't think this is legal where i live :) damn laws hehehe
tanks anyways :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.