FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone relocated their cruise switches? I want to run a smaller dia. wheel and still retain the cruise ability. I have so far cut out the brackets for the switches from a donor wheel cover and stacked and bondo/fiberglass the switches together. I plan to relocate the switches to center console. I need to look up wiring diagram and see if the clockspring can be removed from the circuit. So far so good, but getting a good finish where they are going is proving difficult. I attempted to cut the vinyl precisely to fit with a tight seam, but the angles of the switches is making a smooth joint difficult. I made a mold of one of the switches to try to fab. a cover/ faceplate to mount into console.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can get a bank of momentary switches with the proper sized resistors to replace the wheel mounted ones. The on off is a momentary SPDT switch with 12V going to one side, ground going to the other, and the common connector going to the cruise. The Coast button is 120ohm's +- 5%, the set/accel button in 680ohms +- 5%, and the resume button is 2200ohms +- 5%. Alternativily you should be able to remove the switches from the horn pad and relocate them and wire them up as needed. For the coast, resume, and set/accel switches, one side of the switch goes to the cruise box and the other side goes to the proper sized resistor, and then the resistor gets connected to gorund. - Peter

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
I looked at a 91 EGT that a guy was selling a while back and he had relocated the cruise buttons to the dash next to the steering wheel. he didn't do a good job of it, and I don't remember why he even did it.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the tips. I have decided to use the org. switches. I have already trimmed, stacked, and bondo together. Just to see if it would even work. I would like to mount the switch stack in center console, driver's side to E-brake handle. I have yet to confirm clearance to floor, might be tight. I have 3 rocker switches in the other side for other things. I am doing all this because I want a smaller wheel and still have cruise. I have the wiring figured out, now to make the switches and mounting look nice. I need to fill gap between switches and org. mountings. I tried to precisely cut the org. vinyl wheel cover, but the angles proved making a smooth transition impossible. If anyone has any ideas of substance I can use to fill 1/8 gap around switches. Needs to become solid, but not stick to switches. The stuff I have is way to thick and cures way too fast. I know a lot of work for little, but that's the way it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts