FEOA Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
2020 version. Lowered with pinstripes. ZX2 rims
16 Posts
It's not hard. Just takes time as you need to be careful when you're pulling off the interior trim to be able to drop the headliner.

Here's a write up I did for someone else:

"The plastic interior trim panels are held on by snap holders so all you have to do is pull the trim and it should snap off. Some might be held down with little plastic buttons but that depends on the year of your car. If there is a button fastener just pry up the center button with a flat blade screwdriver and the whole fastener should come out. It may require a bit of a tug for the plastic interior trim to unsnap so just be careful you don't break the interior trim. The plastic trim around where the rear seat belt is can only come completely off if you unbolt the seat belt holder. I just left it on and pulled the trim out of the way to get to the nuts. You'll have to unscrew the dome light and visors also. The dome light has a plastic connector for power that you'll need to unclip to move the dome light out of the way when you drop the headliner. If you have grab bars installed on the roof then you'll need to remove those too. They have a little plastic cover at each end that you need to pry off to get to the screws. There are little metal tabs at the back where the cargo area is that holds up the back part of the headliner that are under the rear trim that snaps off. Once you remove everything all you need to do is pull the headliner towards the front of the car and it should pop out. Be careful not to damage the headliner. If you have a buddy that can help an extra pair of hands makes the job much easier especially when it comes time to pull the headliner down so as not to damage it. You don't need to remove the headliner from the car. Just drop it to get access to the screws. I've pulled my headliner out of my car before and it's a bitch to get it to come out of the car completely. I had to kick the front seats back all the way down along with the rear seat so that I had room to maneuver it. I had to pull the front part of the headliner out of the driver side door then pull it out of the car from the rear passenger side rear door. Not fun.

Now that you have the headliner out of the way the best way to pull the roof trim off is to loosen all the nuts first before you pull them off the top of the car. There are 13 nuts including the ones that hold down the cross bars on each side. The filler trim is probably fairly brittle from being in the sun so that's why I say pull all the nuts off first so that when you are pulling the trim you don't damage it. It shouldn't take much to loosen the nuts and once they are loose they should be able to come off with your fingers. Once you get all the nuts off CAREFULLY pry up the trim with a single blade screwdriver being careful to not snap off the mount posts. Pay special attention to the end posts. If even one breaks off the trim is no good and will not seal the roof from water so it's important that the trim and mount posts are intact! There will probably be some sort of sticky tape underneath the trim helping to seal it and have it stick to the car. There should be a plastic gasket that helps seal the roof on each trim piece towards the back of the trim."

John
Hey John,
Since I had the plastic removed from the cargo area already so I could access the rear strut mounts, I decided to address another project that has been bothering me. The roof racks over the last 25 years have become pretty loose. I figured that they're only going to get looser unless I tighten up the bolts that hold them in place. So, I popped all the plastic off around the windows and removed the visors and ceiling light. It should drop down but there are hidden points of attachment above the rear passenger doors. I'm trying not to damage the headliner and I was wondering if you had any advice on how to get the headliner to release from these areas above the doors?
'94 LX wagon

·
16 Posts
It's not hard. Just takes time as you need to be careful when you're pulling off the interior trim to be able to drop the headliner.

Here's a write up I did for someone else:

"The plastic interior trim panels are held on by snap holders so all you have to do is pull the trim and it should snap off. Some might be held down with little plastic buttons but that depends on the year of your car. If there is a button fastener just pry up the center button with a flat blade screwdriver and the whole fastener should come out. It may require a bit of a tug for the plastic interior trim to unsnap so just be careful you don't break the interior trim. The plastic trim around where the rear seat belt is can only come completely off if you unbolt the seat belt holder. I just left it on and pulled the trim out of the way to get to the nuts. You'll have to unscrew the dome light and visors also. The dome light has a plastic connector for power that you'll need to unclip to move the dome light out of the way when you drop the headliner. If you have grab bars installed on the roof then you'll need to remove those too. They have a little plastic cover at each end that you need to pry off to get to the screws. There are little metal tabs at the back where the cargo area is that holds up the back part of the headliner that are under the rear trim that snaps off. Once you remove everything all you need to do is pull the headliner towards the front of the car and it should pop out. Be careful not to damage the headliner. If you have a buddy that can help an extra pair of hands makes the job much easier especially when it comes time to pull the headliner down so as not to damage it. You don't need to remove the headliner from the car. Just drop it to get access to the screws. I've pulled my headliner out of my car before and it's a bitch to get it to come out of the car completely. I had to kick the front seats back all the way down along with the rear seat so that I had room to maneuver it. I had to pull the front part of the headliner out of the driver side door then pull it out of the car from the rear passenger side rear door. Not fun.

Now that you have the headliner out of the way the best way to pull the roof trim off is to loosen all the nuts first before you pull them off the top of the car. There are 13 nuts including the ones that hold down the cross bars on each side. The filler trim is probably fairly brittle from being in the sun so that's why I say pull all the nuts off first so that when you are pulling the trim you don't damage it. It shouldn't take much to loosen the nuts and once they are loose they should be able to come off with your fingers. Once you get all the nuts off CAREFULLY pry up the trim with a single blade screwdriver being careful to not snap off the mount posts. Pay special attention to the end posts. If even one breaks off the trim is no good and will not seal the roof from water so it's important that the trim and mount posts are intact! There will probably be some sort of sticky tape underneath the trim helping to seal it and have it stick to the car. There should be a plastic gasket that helps seal the roof on each trim piece towards the back of the trim."

John
Hey John,
After I asked my question I dug around a little more and determined that the headliner is actually glued to a bracket in these locations. So I took a thin flexible blade and carefully separated the headliner from the brackets and it dropped right down. I don't know if this was something that was only done on some cars but it ended up being an extra unexpected step. Not a big deal, but I thought it would be a helpful heads up for anyone else that encounters the same situation.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Weird! I don't remember those brackets when I took down my headliner.

Maybe the 3rd gens are different in how the headliner mounts?:unsure:

I wanted to remove the rack in the beginning and found a couple of sets of smooth rack rails but the racks have kind of grown on me so I'm still debating whether I'll remove them or not.

Besides....I plan on taking the wagon on a few ski trips up to Mammoth this year so the racks will come in handy for skis/snowboards.

John

·
16 Posts
I love the racks. I’m sure the reason they’ve become loose is because I’ve used them thousands of times over the years. It’s reassuring to have a well mounted roof rack when hauling surfboards. I’m glad I can retighten them with Loctite. The headliner was starting to sag in a small area in the back so now I can fix that as well.
I plan on installing the springs on Monday.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I love the racks. I'm sure the reason they've become loose is because I've used them thousands of times over the years. It's reassuring to have a well mounted roof rack when hauling surfboards. I'm glad I can retighten them with Loctite. The headliner was starting to sag in a small area in the back so now I can fix that as well.
I plan on installing the springs on Monday.
From what I can tell a few well placed beads of silicone sealant should do the trick. Loc-tite will work but so will a dab of silicon sealant on the end of each mount post.

What do you ride? I have a few boards from my days riding for Rip Curl along with a few some of my shaper friends hooked me up with.

My old comp board/potato chip was a 6' 2" double hull thruster.

In my old age (and added weight!) I had to upgrade to a 6' 5" Channel Island single hull thruster with thicker tailblock for easier takeoffs.

John

·
16 Posts
My shortboard days are lonnngg behind me. I’ve been riding longboards for the last 25 years or so. I primarily ride/paddle a SUP now.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My shortboard days are lonnngg behind me. I've been riding longboards for the last 25 years or so. I primarily ride/paddle a SUP now.
I have a 9' 2" tanker that a guy named Jolian shaped for me. Apparently his dad owned most of Malibu and he lived in a Treehouse next to the beach with a bunch of his followers partying and living around him on the beach.

I've only ridden it a few times when I attended a friend of mines wedding in Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico. but it's pretty loose for a longboard. I rode it at a little break called Saladitas. Breaks just like First Point Malibu but its a beach break so it breaks mostly left but, depending on the swell, can roll A frames!

John

·
16 Posts
My last longboard was a classic 10’ Hobie tanker. I had it for over 15 years. I loved catching waves on it. Since it weighed 27 lbs, it just got to be a hassle carrying to the beach. I hope who ever has it now is using it. The funny thing is that my SUP weighs about the same. It does have a hand hold though. Oh well, change is good.
I used to surf baja back in the day before all the cool campsites turned into timeshare developments. Saladitas sounds like a fun break. Being a goofy foot I tend favor the lefts. Now I’m content going to Torrey Pines State beach and La Jolla shores.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've surfed most of the Cali coast and Baja all the way to Cabo San Lucas. K35 was my favorite spot out that way. My favorite SD spots were Blacks and La Jolla.

When I was in high school they had started a club called NSSA. I got accepted and got assigned to the free surfing team. The comp team was fun but I preferred the free surfing team since we got to travel internationally. I surfed Australia, Japan, Indonesia, South Africa, Mexico, All of Central America and most of South America. It was a pretty awesome experience at 17! LOL!

When I was vacationing in the British Virgin Islands I did a lot of Paddle Boarding. Super fun!!!

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone in the Baltimore or Perryville Maryland area want a full rack? I'm planning on dropping the headliner and removing the entire rack sometime this spring. It's a 1993 if you are curious.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts