FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a 91 gt. how can you get corrosion off of the rims, without eating away the paint? i have the body colored alloys. any help would be great. also, how damn hard is it to put in the bmw headlights? i am so sick of not being able to see shit at night. thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
Okay, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at on the rims, but I always found sand paper works quite well for getting rust off. There's also this chemical stuff that you can buy that won't generally hurt paint (too badly; it fades it a little but doesn't take it off); I'm not quite sure what it's called though. My dad used it on his geo several times. But the best way that I've found is just... work at it with sandpaper, scrape it off. It /is/ rust right?

·
Registered
802 Posts
becarfull with the sand paper, i head that the metal is pretty soft on the rims, there was a nice how-to by someone on hear a while back, he ended up wire-wheelin the whole thing than putting new clearcoat on, looked fantastic.

to the BMW thing, ask siragan, he did it. Sounded like a B*TCH-load of work, but dang, does it ever look good.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had just one wheel that was a bit messy looking and used a product called 'Wonder Wheels' that worked well and didn't have any bad affect on the finish. A couple of weeks ago I was polishing the car with 'Mer' and decided the wheels could do with a bit of a shine-up. They looked fantastic and the dirt doesn't seem to stick so much and they're miles easier to clean. Just a point. :wink:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Get yourself a container of Mother's Mag and Aluminium Wheel polish, a rag, and some elbow grease. That will make a world of difference. Sandpaper will work, but the color will go away, and unless you do the whole wheel and do it evenly, it will look worse. Remember, it's only aluminium.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
degree_of_mentality said:
hey, i have a 91 gt. how can you get corrosion off of the rims, without eating away the paint? i have the body colored alloys. any help would be great. also, how damn hard is it to put in the bmw headlights? i am so sick of not being able to see shit at night. thanks
Try compounding your headlights. They should turn from yellow-ish to almost clear again. And you'll get more light.

As for the rims, please post some pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts