FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was just looking at the j-spec motors on corksport.com and it said that the gtx was hard to install and could be expensive. was that just a CYA (cover your ass) or is there something that i havent been told. Are they talking about the turbo controllers and moniters maybe? I dunno but I was always told it was really easy almost plug and play.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Dropping the engine in the car (if you already have a 1.8) would be easy, upgrading the fuel delivery, getting all the timers/gauges and the new ECU would be a PITA though.

Most of that was probably a CYA, All companies have to do that now...you know since that stupid old lady spilled mcdonalds coffee on her lap in her car and sued mcdonalds and...well...won the settlement. Stupid judge. :roll:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah I'm working with a friend on an engine/tranny/ECU swap from two nearly identical jeep wranglers. The engine and tranny dropped in great! Only...

We had to remove the front part of the frame, remove the master brake cylinder, take off the intake plenum, shorten the driveshaft...

It can add up pretty quick. All I gotta say is make sure you're ready to put in a good bit of time and patience into an engine swap. What should be easy isn't always.

·
Registered
911 Posts
lemme clear some shit up real quick....

jspec engine...

if u have the 1.8 gt motor in ur car already, then the swap will be pretty easy...

fuel delivery WILL be the same as long as u keep the boost at the stock level.
Tranny WILL bolt right up to the new motor.
NOTHING is gonna have to be move/removed to fit this motor in.

The motor is identical to ours....the wiring...thats completely different.

In order to wire it all up, u'lll have to remove your dash completely to locate all the wires.. There are about 10 wires taht will have to be spliced into the new jspec ECU and wire harness to get it to work.

If u have a 1.9 motor....you are gonna need everything...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
92gt5spd said:
lemme clear some **** up real quick....

jspec engine...

if u have the 1.8 gt motor in ur car already, then the swap will be pretty easy...

fuel delivery WILL be the same as long as u keep the boost at the stock level.
Tranny WILL bolt right up to the new motor.
NOTHING is gonna have to be move/removed to fit this motor in.

The motor is identical to ours....the wiring...thats completely different.

In order to wire it all up, u'lll have to remove your dash completely to locate all the wires.. There are about 10 wires taht will have to be spliced into the new jspec ECU and wire harness to get it to work.

If u have a 1.9 motor....you are gonna need everything...
Basically...isn't that the same thing I said man? only I think that it'd be safer to upgrade your fuel pump. You never know it could be old and weak, once you start trying to pump more fuel through it, it could go out on you. :?

·
Registered
911 Posts
::shrugs:: i dunno.....i just thought u meant all new bigger lines and crap....

replacing fuel pump is easy...just un clip the back seat unbolt the panel and pull the old fuel pump out and put new one in...but tito will come along soon enough and tell me that its not easy or something.....so i'll just say it for him...

If you know how to unscrew bolts...unclip wire harnesses and can unclip your backseat, then replacing your fuel pump is easy...if not, i'm sure tito can give a better explaination...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.