FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know the drill
92 1.8 GT

Cooling fan stopped coming on today. Just making sure these are the only things i need to check out.

Fan switch
Fan.

Let me know if there is anything else i need to be checking.
Guage and waterpump are working.

thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Does the fan not come on at all, or does it only come on when the A/C is on?

If it comes on with A/C only, check your temperature sending unit at the thermostat housing. Likely it's gone bad.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope dont come on even when A/C is on. Means prolly fan is dead?

The temperature switch is only about a year old.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fan works....i hotwired it to the battery and it did its magic. Relay was blown on one terminal and i replaced it and no luck. So i'm imagining there's a short somewhere. Its either that or spend 40 bucks on a sensor that might or might not do the trick.

So for now, i've just got the fan hotwired to the battery w/ a quick disconnect plug. Its ghetto, but it only has to work for about 3 weeks till i get time to go get my 300z from back home.

thanks anyway ppl

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm a freakin idiot.... So yeh, i replaced the relay and it wasnt coming on. So while driving w/ the fan constantly on, about a day of that w/ no problems. the next day it drained what was left in my battery from the day before. Apparently the fan sucks more juice than the alternator can charge. So today i was doing some more diagnosing along w/ many online hours w/ siragan last night and this morning i removed the engine compartment fuse box. I cleaned up the pin that the relay burnt out on. I had it jumped because that fan sucked my car dry. I couldnt find the problem so i took it to the shop today. They called me a few times and asked me what i had done so they could verify it all. Called me a last time and asked me what exactly was wrong w/ the car. I told them and he said that the fan was working.

So, yeh, i fixed it and didnt realize it. I just wasnt patient enough for the fan to kick on and assumed it was messed up. Embarrassed as hell and still proud that i traced all the lines and figured the problem out and learned more about the EGI module and what it has to do w/ the temp sensor and our A/C and heater....go figure.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
There is absolutely no way your fan can draw more than your alternator can put out. You alternator is probably good for 65-75 amps through 12 volts. Your fan might draw 10 amps max. Maybe your alternator is on its way out too.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
negative, i replaced the alternator less than 2 months ago. I assure you at constant run that fan sucks a shitload.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and btw...go look up an amperage calculator...Using a 65 amp alternator after all engine components and electronics you have about 30 amps to play w. Thats when you arent idling. Then throw in i have a 1200 watt amplifier w/ 2 cerwin vegas in the trunk, you do the math there buddy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kinda on the same subject , the first night i was out driving it and bumpin my cd player(n i dont have shit runnin on it except the stock stuff, no subs or amp or ne thing. The headlights werent on when i was driving that night( n i had the headlight plug out so it would be on(lack of power or some shit) , i didnt realise till someone told me , cuz i was driving in town,, well lit streets. I tried to get the lights on it wouldnt come on so i hit high beam then all of a sudden it came on. My car was overheatin the temp gauge was waaaay up on hottttt. my fan wasn't on wheni shut the car down n the engine was maaaad hot, so it shouldve stayed on like its supposed to. N i started it back up after a half hr (the battery light was on) n still the headlights wouldnt come on. i bought a new battery n new battery wires postive /negative. I was listin to the cd player for like 10 minutes out in my car and it drained the frickin new battery. the battery light was the only light that would come on along with the interior light. I'm hopin to god its not the alternator , maybe there is a bad ground connection? My drivers side door speaker comes on once in a great WHILE for a hot minute, n there is no bad connection to it and its not blown cuz when it comes on the shit bumps!. any guesses at what is the cause of all these problems?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
92gt5spd said:
Apparently the fan sucks more juice than the alternator can charge. .
No, your fan does not suck more juice than your alternator can charge. Your fan is not at all a resistive load. Your fan had virtually nothing to do with your battery being dead. My math was fine.

Buddy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
a new starter was put in my car by the previous owner maybe he mesed up with something when puttin it in i dunno but im going to check the alternator if this shit happens again after im done with my tranny

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright....lets go ahead and look up some things here.

welp my amp uses a 30 amp fuse...If i put anything less than that inside the fuse box, it blows right away. So that means that the amp is taking 30 amps of my battery.

So, we are up to 30 amps. now add in that "10 amps" fan you were saying and we're up to 40 amps... leaves us w/ 25 amps left of juice.

So driving at night, w/ my fan running constantly and my headlights on and my system blaring...i'd say that the rest of the 25 amps were going to the engine and head lights.

BUT, i will tell you this...i did have the alternator checked out...YOU were right and I WAS right...
W/ everything running i did suck too much juice at one time and for 30 miles of doing that...it did burn out my alternator.

btw, dont come on here bashing me for this shit. I know a whole lot more about a GT than you. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad. Grow up.

I'm sorry. I post here to try to help people because I know a bit of stuff. I thought that was what this forum was all about.

You were having a problem and you were completely barking up the wrong tree with the cooling fan even though you know way more about GT's than I do. I told you your fan wasn't the problem and suggested maybe your alternator was going.

You gave me the gears because I didn't know you were running 30 amps of stereo equipment. My bad.

I quoted a couple things you said and then you told me I was ragging your ass.

Your cooling fan uses no more than 3 amps while running; max 10 amps instantaneous at start-up due to current in-rush. Go get a wrap-around ammeter and see for yourself. Your fan was never the problem, as I tried to tell you.

I know one thing. You don't know as much as you think you do. I'll remember not to try to help you again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts