FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temp gauge was giving me funny readings (bouncing around sparatically) so I figured I'd change the temp. sensor since it's like 13 years old.. Well I go to pull the old one off and it just crumbles.. yep, that was the problem. Here is my current dillema.

My old temp. sensor had 1 wire (black and drk green) running to it. The temp sensor had 1 (one) connector on it, with 1 (one) metal connector inside of it. I have been to Autozone, NAPA, and Advance auto and they all give me a temp sensor with 2 (two) prongs on it for the wrong connector. I asked them to get me the temp sensor for a '95 EGT, a '91 Protege, a '95 Miata, anything I could think of that uses the same engine, and they all came up with the same 2 (two) pronged connector that I don't use.

Any help at all would be awesome. I'm currently running rich as shit because the ECU thinks I'm freezing. Thanks!

edit - since that seems to be confusing to some people :)

This connector has 2 metal prongs inside. My old sensor only had 1. My connector (attached to the wireing harness) only has 1 connector inside, and won't fit on this, even though this is the part listed in EVERYONE'S part book as the correct part for my car.

UPDATE - the new temp sensor (with the 2 prongs, as shown in the pic) is too small also. The thread pattern is smaller, and entirely different overall.

On a seperate note (doesn't really matter, I only drive on the highway, just curious), will running w/o a temp sensor make my fans not come on?

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
These places are all trying to give you the temperature sending unit that goes to either the cooling fan or computer. Have you tried NAPA yet?

If your desparate I've got one but it's from a LX. Might be the same though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
you bought the coolant temp sensor for the computer that reads temp for the a/f ratio....butter tell them that you want a temperature switch or a fan switch...they may not know the diff...but usually i get lots of sensors at the junk yard for free(you can too)....anyway just go to a junk yard and stack as many sensors you can find or yeah the last opion would be going to the dealer....all in all its the fan switch you need.....hope it helps.....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
kikoy said:
you bought the coolant temp sensor for the computer that reads temp for the a/f ratio....butter tell them that you want a temperature switch or a fan switch...they may not know the diff...but usually i get lots of sensors at the junk yard for free(you can too)....anyway just go to a junk yard and stack as many sensors you can find or yeah the last opion would be going to the dealer....all in all its the fan switch you need.....hope it helps.....
Agreed. A single prong is usually a switch of some sort and is just providing a 12V ground to the block when closed. This throws a relay somewhere. The sensor they keep trying to give you would probably contain a rheostat so it needs both a pos and neg side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.