FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my coolant reservoir is boiling after driving for a while. According to the temperature gauge in my car, my engine is NOT overheating.

Is this a serious problem?

And if I replace the engine gasket under the engine manifold, could that be a solution?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Are you sure it's boiling and not bubbling through? I've seen this happen before, on other cars, and it never seemed to cause problems. I can understand if the stuff boils a little when going into the overflow because it's going from about 16 psi down to atmosphere, which decreases boiling point since it's going to a lower pressure. Stuff burns and boils faster in a vacuum, fyi. Also, check for the proper mix of 50/50 glycol/water. I suspect your ratio may be off, and it's more water than glycol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um I'm not sure how to tell the difference between boiling and bubbling. But I guess you could say that it is bubbling since thats what its doing. (Like the bubbling of water when you boiling it).

And I buy the already mixed 50/50 coolant.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
I would uy a new radiator cap. Then keep track of whether you have to add any coolant. An engine that is letting much fluid get into the recovery bottle may just have a senile rad. cap.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EscorGo said:
Are you overheating? Running rough? It could be a bad headgasket.
How is your compression on each cylinder.
Not overheating at all, I dont know how to check compression on each cylinder.

As for running rough? Not sure what you mean, but other than being a loud engine sound it runs great.

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
To check compression you have to borrow or buy a tester, which any auto parts place should have. You need the kind with a length of rubber hose connecting the gauge to the adapter that threads into the spark plug holes. You can see a pix of it at www.summitracing.com by putting in the keywords "compression tester". Priced from $20.
When you use it, always crank the engine over with the starter the same number of times per cylinder. I use 4 times 'around'. With the 4 spark plugs removed, you will hear one 'pulse' on each compression stroke due to the tester being in one cylinder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so just to clarify. After I get the compression tester,

I remove all 4 spark plugs at the same time and than insert the compression tester in 1 of the holes where the spark plugs go in, than press the gas and record the reading I get?

·
Registered
493 Posts
that happened to me in the pass

it's steam coming out the radiator, maybe you have a little tinny hole somewhere (low water level), mine was in the radiator, your car it's overheating but you still have water so the ECT keep control the fan.

check the water level in the radiator and the reservoir, also check for leaks, check you oil too.

my temp gauge are never in the middle, like 1/4, if i travel it's move up and down (thermostat) but never in the middle.

be carefull about engine temp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.