FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 LX, which I've owned since she was new. I had a problem when one of the cylinders stopped firing because the coil pack went bad, but I found that problem and fixed it. I also found a bad vacuum hose and replaced it. A couple of days later, bad coolant leak coming from the back of the engine. I'm having trouble finding the leak and I'm curious to know if it's because was the car was only running on only 3 cylinders that caused it? She was spitting oil out of back when she was running bad. I only drove it about 20 miles when the coils went bad to get it back to the house, where it sits now.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
hard to say about the reason...on my mom's 94 lx we had a leak that was not making a big mess, but found it to be one of the heater hoses...when parked you bould only find it by pressurizing the system....we cheated on that though and got the car a little warm ten squeezed the front top rad hose and that was how we found it....we got lucky and it was just a loose clamp....hope yours is as simple

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
If it were me, I'd be checking the simple stuff first. Check the hoses like 93EGTinLR suggests. Check the water pump, and check around the head gasget. If you don't have a them, I highly recommend a good set of jack stands, and a small jack. They're dirt cheap, and aid immensely in finding under car problems. Sounds like the oil problem may be somewhat related to the coolant leak. That would most likely mean a head gasget problem.

Hope that helps :D

Matt 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. One of things I was afraid it might be is the head gasket, but I've eliminated that that possibility since it doesn't seem to have the oil problem anymore after the coil pack and vacuum hose were replaced. I'm thinking it's coming from the heater core hose, but it's been raining and I haven't had a chance to get out and look. It'll leak, and then stopped for a minute, and start dripping again while the vehicle is running. And that's with the a/c and heater turned off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with birddog, it could indeed be the thermostat. I'm not sure how the LX is set up, but my 95 GT had a weird leak like yours and it ended up being one of the heater hoses that goes behind and under the intake manifold. Right above the oil filter. A pain in the ass!!! Had to take oil filter off. There's also not much room there. Hope this at least helps you find the leak. :D [/b]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. The problem has been found and corrected. It ended up being a frieze plug, which meant taking the trans. off to fix. Good news though, the clutch is more responsive now after is was almost rusted in place from the leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.