FEOA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago,when checking my trans fluid in my 1995 automatic i noticed some moisture on the dip stick.Ive been wanting to do a fluid/filter on it for quite some time.So I d ropped the pan,drained it, and notice some milky foam comming from the front of pan area after it was draining for a while..Put the thing together.Had some problems a week later with it slipping so i dropped the pan again..Same milky foam from the front of the trans area.Could this be condensation?My guess its coolant.But why would it be showing up from the front of the trans area?There was also a little in the bottom of the pan.Whats the possibility of the cooler in the rad leaking?Would a rad pressure test indicate a leak there?Any imput appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If the leak is big enough, you'd see a pressure drop on the tester after leaving it connected for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Otherwise, I would disconnect the lower trans cooler at the radiator, let the fluid drain out, and then pressure test the radiator. If you then see coolant dripping out of the trans cooler, you've found the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i did a pressure test yesterday..my system doesnt hold pressure for 2 minutes...i can hear a leak but dont see any coolant leaks...wheres it leaking from i wonder?..mabere the pressure tester cap?..didnt sound like it..sounded like it was comming from the passanger side lower radiator area

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Try your tester on another radiator to see if it's working ok. Also check where the lower radiator hose attaches. If the original spring clamps were replaced with screw-type aviation clamps, they tend to leak when the engine is cold unless they're really tightened down.

Like I said above, it's possible that the coolant is leaking into the AT cooler, but you'll have to remove the lower cooler hose to confirm that. If you keep pumping up the tester, the lost coolant has to go somewhere visible (otherwise you have a head gasket leak or worse).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will do what you suggested.........as far as the head gasket..the car seems to run o.k...another kinda funny thing...i used the pressure tester a few times trying to find the leak....well i changed the thermostat after that..when i took the thermostat out of the it seemed to have some pressure behind it...or mabee i was dreaming....this was after i removed the tester from the rad neck....just seams weird

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Why did you change the thermostat and what does that have to do with finding a leak??? If the radiator cap is off or the engine is cold, there's zero pressure in the system. You were dreaming (but coolant will drain out of the head if you remove the thermostat housing without draining the radiator first).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the thermo because it was overheating and the upper hose was collapsing..i changed the cap too..Has nothing to do with finding the leak.So theres no way that pressure(from using the pressure tester)would have gotten stuck in the head cooling area?

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
When I use the screw-type hose clamps instead of the original spring clamps, I always figure on retightening 2 or 3 times after installing, like after a day or two & again after a week; preferrably when the coolant is still hot.
Unfortunately I have to remove the serp. belt tensioner to do this for the lower radiator hose where it connects to the water pump.
Much better not to lose the original spring clamps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if i had a head gasket leak would that show on the rad pressure test?........and would be that big of a pressure drop in 1 minute?..my system doesnt hold for even a minute...it runs fine also.....im wondering if it the tester...like i said i hear it leaking air or whatever but do not see any external leaks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts