FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is something that like hooks up to the ecu. or something that u could hook up to a lap top that would tell you all your stats and stuff. i just think that would be neat to have a laptop running having all the stuff going on while driving. hehehehe. Snoogans

·
Registered
618 Posts
Depends on the year of your car. If it's OBDII (96 and up), then yes, there are programs everywhere (though they're expensive). If you're OBDI (1995 and below), then they're much harder to find, priced about the same, if not higher, and they don't display near as much information as the OBDII programs. Hope this helps out a bit.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Bobgoblin said:
well its a 94 so its that OBD-I do u know where i can find those
I don't think you need a computer if all you want is the codes. Now if you want things like actual engine temperature readings, etc. then you would. Try doing a search on OBD-I on google.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Check out Megasquirt - electronic fuel computer. It is a computer you build yourself for cheap, you can do a lot of tweaking to your motor from rev limiters to fuel mix and even data loging to track problems. This is what I am going to run on the Escamino. It has not been around all that long but works great. I am friends with one of the programers on the project, he has it installed in an older modified Audi 5000 Turbo. A lot in the do it yourself dept. but well worth it. The computer works extremely good for turboed engines also. The software has a lot of graphs for you to work with on your laptop in the car.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Grav1ty

·
Registered
141 Posts
Me and a friend of mine are converting a 1980 CJ-5 to fuel injection using the megasquirt computer. And I agree it is a very good syatem.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I was just reading up in a thread on another website from an older fellow who stumbled across the megasquirt and decided to dive in. He's having a blast and has gotten his 20 year old BMW motor running like stock... he claims to have no prior experience with building electronics or engine management and seems to be amazed with how easy the megasquirt makes it. Should I ever go turbo, I'm either going SDS or megasquirt.. building a megasquirt over the winter months would be fun.

I believe the megajolt that's being developed (in the same lines as the megasquirt, but for electronic ignition control) is intended for use with off the shelf Ford EDIS parts. Those of you with 2nd and 3rd Gen Ford motors should like the sound of that, me included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts