FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
There is no distributor on the 3rd gens so I take it you mean the coil pack. Mine with around 60K miles on it got 190's across the board.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
injectors will not cause a low compression. if u think it's the piston rings, put a tablespoon of oil thru the spark plug hole and retest. if it rises, either ur rings r bad or the cylinder bore is damaged

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
redid compression with a better tester i could read worth a crap and 150 accross the board. Which dosnt seem terrible if its consistent? But was patching small hole in exhaust so had to let the patch heat up while car ran. So car was sitting there running on the lift. Ran for first minute like any car should and sounded great, then started to chug/spit/sputter for a minute, then back to good, then back to bad... So whats my best next step? Getting a fuel filter this week from work (autozone) and see if thats a problem possibly? We have a fuel pump with strainer and everything for $150 but rather not spend if not likely problem... Any help is greatly appreciated to save me money

· Registered
241 Posts
im getting mine done in 2 days.. mine has 297k (km) 185.62k (miles)... its 3rd gen spi, and "should contain 160 across board"

· Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Running on the highway or streets?

dailordasailor said:
redid compression with a better tester i could read worth a crap and 150 accross the board. Which dosnt seem terrible if its consistent? But was patching small hole in exhaust so had to let the patch heat up while car ran. So car was sitting there running on the lift. Ran for first minute like any car should and sounded great, then started to chug/spit/sputter for a minute, then back to good, then back to bad... So whats my best next step? Getting a fuel filter this week from work (autozone) and see if thats a problem possibly? We have a fuel pump with strainer and everything for $150 but rather not spend if not likely problem... Any help is greatly appreciated to save me money
[Edit; I guess I WOULD mention the air filter; look at it and if marginal or bad, change THAT, then as follows. [I'm not putting toooo much stake in fuel filter and fuel pump right now............ but you WANT to, go with a fuel filter, but hold off on the fuel pump]

If it's running dependably [tho a nuisance], I'd run it a few days "as is", give us more info and THEN consider spending money. I don't think you mentioned how it runs during travel; we started out wtih compression concerns, but now...............

That's what I'd suggest.

LarryR : )

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
car was run like this for about a year by my sister. she then bought a new car and i bought this for $200... car is not registered at moment but registering next week for work so would like it to work right. Air filter isnt to bad but will pick one up with the fuel filter (and bought full exhaust from cat back because mine has a couple holes)... would love for those to fix it but think its going to be more then just an air filter... Idk, be a nice cheap fix if was it

· Registered
241 Posts
hmmmm. .. just got back , 130 130 125 and 145

ford documentation states: nothing less than 100, and lowest needs to be 25% *OR* less lower than the highest. 185.6k miles (297k km). so i guess, have to look at other things like o2 sensor pre and post, congestion within cat, fuel pressure (SURPRISINGLY is very high (according to ford specs)). and that is my update..

going to montreal and quebec over weekend, so lets see what updates pop in the mean time..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.