FEOA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a compression test and it was at 90 all cylinder and can it make an and engine dont start

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I think you need to work on complete sentences before you work on a car. But I think with numbers that low the engine would have a hard time starting.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
my 91EGT with assumably 200k miles on it got 180 across the board on a dry compression test.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
silverton said:
I think you need to work on complete sentences before you work on a car. .
From reading his other posts, I believe he lives in another country. he's trying his best.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
were all the cylinders the exact same number? that's the important thing. if the engine actually is dying and losing compression, all cylinders aren't going to lose the exact same amount at the same rate.

if they're all exactly 90, you're engine's probably fine and you're either A: doing the test wrong, or B: have an inaccurate compression tester.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You're doing half of a compression test, more than likely.

Bump the key 4 times, not twice. :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just did a compression test on my 92 EGT with around 180k miles on it, when I had the head off I noticed #2 cylinder didn't come all the way up to TDC like all the other ones so I got it back together and did a compression test today, keep in mind this engine runs great! gets 34ish mpg, but cylinder 2 has 90 PSI of compression where all the others are above 150, all dry testing, and I held the starter with all the plugs out for at least 4 compression cycles each test. figure that one out. I think the number 2 rod got slightly bent, but it runs and will continue to run, if/when it goes out it'll be pull a part time! because bent rods take cylinder walls and all out with em don't they? I have rebuild like 3 full engines before but when it comes to catastrophic failure I'm a n00b, but I know how to turn wrenches. :D

anyway keep them EGT's rollin guys!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
That's crazy dude, sounds like you have a slightly bent rod. Enough to make the compression and power from that cylinder low, but not enough to kill the motor.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah I saw that when I took the motor apart when I did my clutch and trans. the #2 didn't come all the way up with #3 all the way to the top of the deck. but it still runs and drives just fine! so I guess it's good right? ha ha I aint worried about it. it runs fine and will continue to run fine. like I said if worst comes to worse I'll go to PAP and get a number 2 connecting rod and piston and put my bearing on the junkyard part with my rings so it's all even ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a hard time believing you have a bent rod and its not either: making noise, running off balance and shaking all over the place, or running rough....I think its more likely you have a problem with the valve seats or guides.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I know I'm baffled too! but I took the head off and #2 piston doesn't come up to TDC with #3 it was about 1/8th of an inch short of hitting TDC when #3 was at TDC. I'm at a loss how it still runs good and has power, it's not badly bent just a slight bend or something, it's been like that since I got the car over 4 months ago, it does idle a bit rough but that's because it's got semi hot cams in it stock. it does shake a little from 45 to 55 in 5th gear, when it's below 2500 rpm in 5th. but she'll cruise right up to 70 at 3300ish rpm.

we will find out soon if it's really bent I'll start a photo forum of the tearing apart again, then you can just see pics for yourselves :) but I've had the head off and all valves look good none bent or burnt and I run it on the lean side of a narrow band A/F gauge. with that and a few other small mods I get 34 mpg and I'm only tweaking more! kinda nice a fast car that breaks the 30 mpg barrier!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts