FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this question has been asked before, couldn't find results on it, so here goes.

The Tokico S/R set is 1.5" shorter rod stroke than stock. A set of Progress sport springs has a 1.5" drop. Does that mean then that the total drop is about 3 inches?

Never thought about this until now when I'm planning on ordering some. Don't want to drop too far....

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I am pretty sure that it does, because I didn't even come near 3/4 of the total drop from my Ground Controls and I am still sitting just above the tires. I know that the S/R's were designed that way so you don't bottom out if you lower the car, but I never thought aboput it making a difference in the drop height. But thinking about it I only used about 1-1.3 inches of the Ground control srop, and the car did move closer to 2.5-3 inches, I actually started with a 2.5 inch drop on the coilovers, and was tucking the rubber into my wheel well, a bit too low for my taste. You can se the difference on my ford Showoff profile. and like I said I only used about 1-1.3 inches of drop on the coilovers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
no it doesnt mean that the total drop is more, it mean's because your springs set 1.5 inches shorter the rod (on the strut) wont be set in 1.5 inches more then it needs to be...meaning that it's going to set where it's suppose too thus keeping your strut dimension's where they need to be..

srry hard to explain...
Jarred

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
makes sense to me, since the rod is shorter it just means that at a drop if 15mm the rod is at the same location as a stock suspension would be. so by lowering more than that it just actls like lowering a stock suspension and drops the rod lower into the strut.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So can one use the stock springs in the Tokico S/R strut and get the 1.5" drop. Or would there be no lowering at all?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
There would be no lowering at all. The spring perch is at the exact same height.

If you installed stock springs on the S/R struts you'd end up with 1.5" less down-travel. (1.5" less total travel)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Beaverboy is correct. The 1.5" difference is in stanchion travel, not stanchion length.

So you'd be right back at stock height (assuming you're using stock springs).

Mind you that the tokico S/R shock is heavily damped, so your suspension would most likely be overdamped for stock springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts