FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey don't start the hating but can someone point me in the right direction for a cold air intake i really don't want to pay 200 bucks for a small peice of aluminum. Would it be better to just have one made. I mean really its so stupid it seems.

Please don't tell me to go the air duct hose or something gay like that.

Sorry for the rudness would like help not flak. And yes i did the search but with 33 pages to shift through seemed a bit much.

· Registered
323 Posts
yes i agree payin 200 bux for lil peice of aluminum,,,

heres what me an low run...im sure other members as well..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-199 ... ccessories

they make them in red black an chrome...just search ebay for 90 protege intake..

cheakc out low's 3"inch h-box mod...easy to do as well just did mine...

and the search does suck here ive learned...give you stuff that you dont want 99% of the time

· Registered
1,249 Posts
Do you already have a intake system? IF so go to siliconeintakes.com and get a 3inch to 3inch 90* coupler and run a straight aluminum pipe to a filter in the wheel well area. be sure to cut a hole in the bottom of the well area to get that cold air.

· Registered
796 Posts
not a fan of the 90* bend, but for the price u cant really argue. of course if you wanted slightly better flow you could get a couple pieces of intercooler plumbing and vaf adapter for the cone filter and save some money as well. mines 3" aluminum, love it

· Registered
86 Posts
treeps95gt said:
not a fan of the 90* bend, but for the price u cant really argue. of course if you wanted slightly better flow you could get a couple pieces of intercooler plumbing and vaf adapter for the cone filter and save some money as well. mines 3" aluminum, love it
you do realize that the "90 degree bend" elbow is what actually makes the intake a cold air intake?

what you're running is a regular short ram.. the air filter isnt isolated away from the motor.. it's still in the same area..

cold air intakes are designed to be as far away from the heatsource as possible.. i.e.. in the fenderwell with that 90 you hate.

there's so many misconceptions on what a cold air intake is nowadays it's not even funny.

everyone slaps a tube with a filter, and calls it cold air.. which it's not.

not trying to flame.. so dont get me wrong. your car looks good. very clean.
but your intake is a shortram indeed.

· Registered
5,229 Posts
TurboDreams said:
treeps95gt said:
you do realize that the "90 degree bend" elbow is what actually makes the intake a cold air intake?

what you're running is a regular short ram.. the air filter isnt isolated away from the motor.. it's still in the same area..

cold air intakes are designed to be as far away from the heatsource as possible.. i.e.. in the fenderwell with that 90 you hate.
I believe the bend he refers to is the hard 90 that goes into the TB. I modded mine to be smooth inside, but it was still hideous. It was the same style as shown previous, but mine came an ugly green.

I got a 3" to 2.5" reducing silicone elbow; performs the same, but looks much better.

I have a short ram, though yes, it is easy to call it a CAI. I just didn't see a need to put another 90 bend in it for a few degrees drop in temp...

· Registered
796 Posts
^^ thanks man, exactly what i meant.

and my filter is still in the engine bay, but its so far tucked away it still gets tonnes of fresh air. regardless of the exact name, i love the noticeable difference with my intake.

· Registered
796 Posts
lmfao deff not in the engine bay

· Registered
1,117 Posts
I bet that crapalier gained about 2 WHP IF THAT with that stupid intake setup :p I've seen that pic many times, cracks me up that someone would go to that length for "cold air" at least stick it out the hood or something stupid not like that :p plus I'd hate to drive that on a rainy day!

· Registered
86 Posts
heh.. i remmeber a streetfire/youtube video called mad vtec or something.. some fool with a sohc vtec si did that.. but ran no hood.. and ran the intake from the tb over the roof into the passenger compartment and videod it.

stupidest thing ever.. but mad did it sound rediculous hahaahaha

especially when his $hit went bwaaaaaaaaaah

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I did the the vaf and cone adapter but need to get rid of that flex hose because it broke the sensor for the fan.

here what i did just need a pipe.

Thx guys

· Registered
1,152 Posts
no need for a cold air intake, just do a short ram and you're fine....

.... at speed there isnt a real difference in intake temps between short ram and cold air. so unless you do your runs from 0-10mph in bumper to bumper traffic dont worry about it

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depending on how big the pipe is off the ebay i may have to dip the pipe down the into the fender well anyways. The free filter i got is just to big and pushes the pipe up against the darn engine block.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
u can always hit up o'reilly's or auto zone. that's where i got mine. spectre cone filter=$24, maf adapter=$5, and 2 intake ducts that attach to each other=$10 each

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.