FEOA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on installing a RX7 VAF and K&N Filter on my EGT. The problem that I have is that the RX7 VAF has a larger diameter opening on it and I need an adapter to connect it to the box that sits behind the stock VAF that feeds the Cold Air Idle Valve. I have tried to go without this box and with a 3" to 2" rubber adapter from Home Depot, but the car will not Idle at all after this.

The issue is that there is no room for both the black box behind the VAF and the reducerat the same time. :(

Can anyone who has done the RX7 VAF modification help me out with this, I need to be able to get this all working ... :(

MrVermin

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I was in EXACTLY the same situation as you, and I was lucky enough to snap a pic of it before I had to give the camera back... so here it is!

All you have to do it take the EXISTING rubber "collar" on the filter side of the resonator box, then flip it inside out so it´s long and thin. Then you slide the two together and hose clamp both sides just like I did.
Also, you can drill out the nubbie on the VAF itself (it´s that little cylinder sticking up) and that will let you control the bypass air through the VAF. Stock adjustment for mine was 2.25 turns up from very bottom, which is why that sticker is on my resonator box :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I fixed the problem, took me a few days though since it was raining and I can´t work outside when it was raining.. :(

I picked up the CTA intake kit from Chris at CTA (I told him my problem and what I already had and he gave it to me minus the VAF adapter and Cone Filter.. ) I then picked up an extra 3" to 3" rubber PVC Pipe adapter from Canadian Tire.

I put it all together and added the extra 3" to 3" adapter from the intake pipe to the RX7 VAF (Fit Perfectly :D ) and then tuned the VAF...

Now the car ROCKS.... I can feel the extra pull past 4500 RPM and no more stumbling or backfiring... :D

I took a look at my old VAF to Throttlebody pipe and it was rotted almost all the was through :( I am really glad that I did this and added the CTA kit... :D

MrVermin

·
Registered
26 Posts
If this box was removed when I put my cone filter on, would that be why I have no cold start idle?? Sorry, I didn´t mean to hi-jack your post, just a quick question.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, that is right, You need to have the Idle Bypass hose connected so that it gets Metered Air at Idle or the car will stall ....

Check with CTAMotorsports and he can set you up with something...

MrVermin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts