FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am currently down in my Garage trying to assemble my GC Coilovers onto my New S/R Struts and I seem to have hit a bump in the road. I am having a hard time getting the O-Rings to fit inside the sleeve on the rear struts. The fronts were easy enough and just required a lot of pushing with a thin piece of curved metal to move into position. My problem is that the sleeves fit much more snugly on the rear struts it seems. does anyone have any ideas how I can get the o-rings in there without damaging them? I read the article about installing the GC's that's on here, but I don't have a Hydraulic Press, nor do I have a piece of pipe thet barely fits between the two pieces. And at the moment I don't even have a second set of hands. Please SOMEONE, HELP ME!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mazdaspeed: I have tried that the problem is that the o-rings are about 1/16th of an inch and the space between the sleeve and the strut body is only half of that. I was using soapy water and lots of it frequently to try and lube up all of the parts, but it only worked to get half of one o-ring inthere. now, I haave half o fthe first o-ring in each one and I am having trouble getting the other half to go into the sleeve. is there something else I could use to grease them up without destroying or corroding the o-rings down the line, I have already ruled out actually using grease and WD-40.

Beaverboy: I'm not quite getting what you mean by "using the set screws" If you could elaborate I might be able to answer, I'm a newbie at coilover suspensions. and do you think that thinner o-rings might actually help? The sleeve definitely needs something to prevent it from rattling around, it is just barely bigger than the strutbody, so it doesn't stay still.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Problem, That might be why I didn't know what you were talking about. As of yet I am stil struggling to get the o-rings into the sleeve. maybe I could use a Hose Clamp to hold the O-ring in place as I hammer the sleeve down with a rubber mallet?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, finally got the dang things assembled nearly a year later, but now I can't find the diagram that tells how much of the bumpstop needs to be cut and I can't get through to GC over the phone. does anyone happen to know how much of the Bumpstop needs to be trimmed o get these things done right?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
How much do you plan to 'slam' it? Oh wait.. you said you want it 'done right', so you won't be dropping them all the way down :D

I just cut mine down to half their original length. You might want to cut yours down just a little bit. You can always cut more off later, after you've installed them. If you're driving around and you're all over the bumpstops, you can either cut a little more off or raise the perches up a little (or both).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.