FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting new springs for my 91 GT. Whats the difference between regular lowering springs and coil overs? Lowering springs run around 200 bucks, but I've seen these adjustable coil overs selling on Ebay for around 50 bucks. Are they any good?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hey, I wouldn't trust the springs off of Ebay unless you know the maker to be high quality. I've seen DropZone Coilovers, but I've heard more guys on here say that the Ground Controls are much better. I just bought a set of the Ground Control Coilovers and I'm currently installing them, but I can tell the quality is outstanding. If you have a little over $225 you could get the Weapon-R "Circuit Pro" Coilovers, 93GTinLR has those and attests to their quality. Or if you have $409 ( I know it's a lot more) you could get the GC Coilovers From Bare End Motorsports. I'd only buy Coilovers on EBay if they were from Weapon-R or Ground Control. I've never heard anything about the other sets on there.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
scortGT_91 said:
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money or have the ultimate springs, I'm just looking top replace my worn out ones with new ones for a decent price. Still, they have to be better than my 12 yr old stockers, right?
Those cheapies on ebay will probably rust up or corrode after a few months of being on your car (the springs will probably hold out, but the adjusters will just get nasty). I wouldn't reccomend coil-overs unless you're going to be racing.. they're going to be very (and I mean VERY) stiff.. probably too stiff for your shocks, and then you'll get the bounce.. *shudder* I don't reccomend going cheap when it comes to your suspension... because suspension parts make a tremendous difference in how a car drives.

Buy some eibachs if you want good quality replacements. They'll lower enough to look really good, and keep a nice real-world ride and the price isn't bad. I can also reccomend the H&Rs, but they're a bit more expensive, and just a tad stiffer, but they don't lower quite as much. I haven't heard anything bad about the Intrax springs for street use, either.. they lower the most of the lowering springs.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You asked for the difference between lowering springs and coilovers.Lowering springs lower your vehicle a fixed amount(ie,1 inch-1.5inch etc...)Coilovers are adjustable and can be adj to anywhere between1 to 4 inches just by using a wrench.(Depending on the brand you can probably go lower).I just installed a set of Dropzone lowering springs on my LX .They say it will drop your car 1.8 inches, but i got a 2 inch drop on front and a 1.6 drop on the rear.It looks great and the ride is not as bouncy as everybody claims it to be.I'm still using my stock struts.The best of it is the price.I paid $124.00 delivered for the set of 4 springs.And its a perfect fit.
If you decide on coilovers go with a good brand.Stay away of the generic brands.A lot of these kits are incomplete,they try to make them to fit 100 different models of cars, and within weeks the springs colapse making terrible noises. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts