FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in line to deposit my two paychecks today after work (HELL YEAAAAAAAAH 8O ) and I noticed that my clutch pedal has about an inch to an inch and a half of play before the pressure pushes back. I know there's a way to adjust this, does anyone know how it's done and if it's possible for a mostly non-mechanically inclined guy such as myself to do?

If at all possible can you do step by step instructions? Thanks guys. (most likely beav, Tito, 92gt, or Pimp will answer this, but for anyone else Thanks)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
the haynes manual has a description of how to adjust the pedal. Look in there and see what they have. If I remember correctly, you have to adjust some nut behind the pedal or something... it wasn't too complicated sounding when I read it (albeit a few months ago).

It's normal to have a little play though. The haynes manual also says exactly how much play you should have. I think the reason why you're supposed to have that "dead area" of play is so the clutch isn't half-way engaged just by the weight of the pedal separating the flywheel and clutch, but I'm not sure on that one.

Either way, enjoy! off to eat dinner

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
James I figured i'd be a nice guy and look this up for you:

If pedal height is incorrect, Disconnect the electrical connector From the clutch switch.Loosen the switch lock nut and turn the switch to adjust pedal Height. Once pedal height is correct, tighten the locknut and connect the electrical connector. Press the pedal by hand until resistance is felt. Measure the distance the pedal traveled without resistance(this distance is known as freeplay)

On your particular model (92 gt correct?) It should be 7-3/4 to 8 inches High and have 1/4-1/2 inch in freeplay and have a Disengagement Height of 1-5/8 inches.

Hope that helps James.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Had the same prob with mine. Haynes gives full instructions. Garage told me "not to worry about it" it was just the self-adjust assembly "playing up." They said they would fix it if it got any worse but the sudden 'ping' sound (and feeling) I kept getting, was a reaction to the new cable I had put in. Now, as the play on the pedal increases, I get a slight 'twang' followed by a tightening up of the cable. Sorry so garbled, but basically I wouldn't worry too much as long as there is not too much play. You're the only person who really knows what your clutch should feel like.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
hey James, I noticed on mine that some of the excess play I had was due to the rubber stop that it rests on when my foot is off was missing, causing also my pedal to ride alot higher than the brake pedal...don't know if that will help yours, but worth a look

Mike

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
93EGTinLR said:
hey James, I noticed on mine that some of the excess play I had was due to the rubber stop that it rests on when my foot is off was missing, causing also my pedal to ride alot higher than the brake pedal...don't know if that will help yours, but worth a look

Mike
Do you mean the rubber stop that's behind the pedal when you push it in or the rubber pad that's on the pedal itself that's missing? the rubber pad that's on the pedal itself is missing and has been since I bought the car. I only really recently noticed this play in the pedal so i have no clue what it was supposed to feel like.

Even though it is a tad tad bit annoying, it still wasn't as bad when my clutch exploded November of 2001 and I drove home on 1/3 of it (I think). The stupid shop threw it out before I could see it...they have a habit of not listening to me, which is why my car has never been back since. :roll:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
95EsortSittinLo said:
This wasnt a quality post right james? Even tho i went out of my way looked it up and typed it trying to gain a little respect on here.......
Oh...ok sure you're just the bomb now aren't you...Let me get this straight... you think one whopping post where you looked up some basic information is going to make up for the other 1216 posts of pure flop? :roll: Why can't you see my point? :?

Now if you would at least try the rest of the time, then people would show a tad bit more respect. but you see you made me respond to this crap which does nothing to help me in the long run. See my point yet? :?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Well its shows im making a effort to try and if people had more questions like yours whereas it was just as easy as someone with a manual i would be doing it and Whats th problem to me this problem is solved you just gotta et off your duff memorize or read or print out my info go to your car and fix or check. Is there any problem?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
95EsortSittinLo said:
Well its shows im making a effort to try and if people had more questions like yours whereas it was just as easy as someone with a manual i would be doing it and Whats th problem to me this problem is solved you just gotta et off your duff memorize or read or print out my info go to your car and fix or check. Is there any problem?
:? um...sure. It's the 4th of July I had the day off. I didn't do anything today, and you know what? it felt good. You looked information up in the book. Congrats. I could have done that myself. But, I must say. Thank you it was some help. I was mainly looking for some experienced advice. someone who's done it before because the Paynes manual doesn't give the best descriptions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.