FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Having some clutch issues with my 92 EGT. :(

I can push the clutch down, but not quite ALL the way... Maybe not the last inch or so. It is this last inch that is needed to push the fluid through the lines from the Master Cylinder to the Slave Cylinder. The slave cylinder doesn't budge, but I also cannot move the release fork by hand (should I be able to?).

I can see where the arm that connects to the pedal goes into the master cylinder. It appears that the rod and the surrounding metal are moving freely, up until a certain point, when there appears to be a little pressure, then it completely stops. The master cylinder appears to be good.

The slave cylinder boot appears to be torn, with some fluid coming out of it. Unfortunately not sure if it is tranny fluid or brake fluid, since I haven't been able to get it up off of the ground yet.

I will be attempting to replace the slave cylinder soon, so hopefully this should solve my problem.

Anybody have any input how this could be done easily on a lowered car up on a pair of jackstands?

Any other ideas would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know on my LX i cant move the fork by hand. The slave cylinder is what usually goes bad, replacing it will be like 45 bucks.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
you can do it easily without lifting your car... put a jack under your tranny to support it and remove the mount under the batt... then remove the mount that is bolted directly to the top of the tranny... tada you now have easy access to remove the slave cylinder... but i must say, if you do have pressure at the last bit of the travel then you do have pressure... have you tried bleading the system?... anyway not too hard good luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I got a pry bar, and pried on the clutch fork. It moved roughly 0.5 of an inch. Is this normal? Should it be more?

Just trying to narrow it down here.

Ryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Ryan,

This is completely off topic but good to see you back on the forum. Just wanted to let you know that the interior that I got from you was installed (as well as new carpet) and everything looks great. The ClonedGT is about to be wrapped up in blankets for the winter but I did have it in a couple of shows this summer.

Hope you get your clutch problems sorted out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I pulled the slave cylinder the other day. Man, is it seized. And $82 CDN for a new one?!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

I might order one out of the States then...

Hopefully she will ride again... Probably won't part her now.

Ryan

P.S. ClonedGT, you bought the seats, and your daughter bought the bumper, right?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, replaced the slave cylinder. The car moves again! Yay!

Now, clutch problem # 2.

The car runs, drives forward, backward, shifts up, but doesn't want to shift down.

Clutch and pressue plate now? Just how hard is that?

I'm gonna try adjusting my pedal height too, maybe not enough "throw"?

Ryan

P.S. FordBoy4ever, thanks for the advice in dropping the front motor mount. I yanked the battery, air tube, pulled out the electric fan and unbolted the front mount. Enough room that way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah I would adjust the pedal before going inside the tranny. I would also get underneath and unbolt the linkage from the tranny and attempt to move the gearing by hand (under the car, on the tranny). If you can put it into reverse then, it might be a shifter/linkage prob instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts