FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I was pullin out of my friends road tonight, taking off normally, I heard a horrible thump as I put down the clutch to shift to 2nd, initially I thought "Oh shit there goes my new CV Joint" so I try to shift into second and nothing....Just revving. It started right back up with one crank and it won't budge into first gear at all no matter how hard I pushed but it slipped right into second gear. I go to take off, nothing again so I shut the car off and bust out the flashlight. All looks fine under the car minus my oil leak from the pan nut. CV Joint is still in tact minus the fact that it was still clicking but that might be my halfshaft. (?) Nows about the time when I started thinkin about the tranny and/or clutch so I called up the tow truck and waited. Sitting it'll go into 2nd, 4th and Reverse but not 1st, 3rd and 5th. The car still rolls fine and turns so I assume that it's the clutch and the tow truck driver also said that it was definitely the clutch that went.

So, what are my options for aftermarket clutches? I see there's an ACT clutch on Corksport, is that my only choice or are there any alternatives. I don't need a stage 84 clutch to handle a million horsepower but I do want something that can handle more and last longer than an OEM clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
It sounds more like a syncro shattered or some internal damage more than a bum clutch. I don't think it would only effect certain gears if it was the clutch, they would all be messed up. For a new clutch there is spec, cap, clutchmasters, centerforce, and probably more. I am not sure of all their websites but a google search can solve that. Spec seems to have good prices and I know people that have them and have not had problems.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Same thing that happened to me in my 92 GT. clutch blew out one night on the way home.

For 331 bucks that clutch is bargain! holds up to 217 ft lbs torque. The clutch I was lookin at for my Si holds up to 340 ft lbs and costs upwards of 550 buckaroos.

I say if you want a performance clutch get that one...otherwise you'll spend roughly the same amount on a stock clutch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greeeaaatt....:(

There's not much else that could go wrong right? Especially since it's a manual tranny and there isn't a lot in there in the first place. What's the cost of a rebuild BP tranny? $800? $900? $1000+? :cry:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the thing is I don't have tons and tons of money so I want to try and buy it from Advance or Autozone or something and do this myself with the help of friends and family. My neighbor has the most important thing, an engine hoist, cause it'd be so much easier to do tranny/clutch work with it in the air and outside of the car and plus he builds and races modified dirt track cars so he'd be a huge help for me and he'd only ask for a case of beer in return. ;)

BUT If worst comes to worst then I will bring it to a reliable, fair shop not too far from my house and they try to do nothing but do the job right and not screw you over which is a rarity these days or any days!

·
Registered
911 Posts
a large thump......and those gears gone......... I'm imagining a lot of internal damage. Read my Tranny swap article in the "articles" section. Then look for signs on your tranny.

I've only known one person to shatter a clutch disc(james).......thats it. More than likely your tranny. But have no fear...Go junkyardin and find one. If you do the work urself than it will only run ya about 300 or so.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
This is what happened to my sister's 91GT. We ended up totaling the car. The cost of repairs is more than the car is worth.

It can be a multitude of things... if the master cylinder dies and your clutch loses pressure, then it wont disengage from the flywheel and your layshaft is always turning, so you won't be able to get into some gears.

From what you've described, You're going to need a new transmission, and possibly some work to the hydraulic system. The throwout bearing may have shyt the bed. It's not uncommon for this to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts