FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to install a clifford rs3 remote start on my car and was wondering if its possible to install it on a manual trans, on there site it doesnt say that you cant, just that its not recomended, has anyone done this?

· Registered
8,351 Posts
It's not recommended because without the clutch actually being pressed in, when you hit the remote it could kick the car into gear, causing to lurch foward and stall. I have never actually heard of this happening besides from what the guy told me when I asked about it.

All you need to do is bypass the clutch button and you can install it. It's been done, and ironically enough this same question was just asked on hondatech just yesterday. :D

· Registered
38 Posts
A few things:

1) Installing remote start on a manual transmission car is illegal in some states.

2) There are special (kind of expensive) kits for remote start on manual transmission cars. They use what's called "Reserve Mode" and they work like this:

You pull up to where you're stopping, pull the e-brake, put car in neutral, and perform an action (such as throwing a switch on the dash or pressing a button on the remote), remove the key (it stays running because the remote start is reserving the car), get out of the car, and remote lock the doors. At this point, it knows that the following is true:

1) car is locked so no one can mess with the gearshift
2) car is in neutral and e-brake it set so it should be safe to start
3) You performed "the action" that tells the car you will want to be able to remote start it.

Then it shuts the car off. If anyone presses the brake, messes with the e-brake, or opens a door before you try to start the car with the remote, it won't work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.