·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is the best location to describe it:

- "tick-tick-tick" noise coming from under dash, pedal area when I accelerate
- often quite loud at times
- only present in warmer weather. Was not audible during the winter cold months
- not coming from engine. Checked oil level. Everything's ok there.
- not coming from wheel area -> definitely sound in cabin (driver's side) area

Ideas?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually thought of that, but no. It reminds me of when my 1995 Mercury Mystique's speedo started to die. The sound is very similar yet not in the same place. Turns out my speedo on the Mystique was mechanical and not electronic. There was a gear that had broken and it was just clattering around behind my dash. Speedo would only show 40 KM/H. Odd.

Anyway, my speedo on my EGT works just fine; it's just that I've got this really annoying sound. What mechanical parts are located by the pedal area? Forgive my ignorance people. Anything that could come "loose" there?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a chattering relay. When relays get old, they can misbehave if they don't discharge completely when isolated. You'll find it's intermittent. Nothing bad is going to come of this, other than the relay may fail prematurely. Next time it's chattering (ie making, then breaking repeatedly, get yur head down in there and figure out which relay it is. Then replace it if you're a hypochondriac or just wait for it to die. It could outlive you even though it chatters.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Does the clicking increase in "rapidness" as you travel faster?

The only things that are capable of making clicking sounds in the cabin are:

1. A speedometer that is about to go
2. Relays that have seen better days

If you can record it or something, maybe I can get a better idea of what you're talking about.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will try to record the actual sound and post it here when I get back home. Right now my car is in the shop having the wheel bearings replaced. Damn.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It could be the wheel bearings. I've driven cars with:

1. Bad CV joints
2. Bad differential gears
3. Bad wheel bearings

2 and 3 make a similar moaning/whirring/buzzing sound, and 1 makes a classic knocking/rattling sound.

However, if the click you're talking about is a clean, crisp sounding click, it's most likely a relay. Relays are pretty much the only things I can think of in cars that make a truly "clicky" sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts