FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question - on any 12V cigarette lighter accessory plug, there's the springy button connection on the end and then the two connections on the side. what are these connections? is the button positive power and the sides grounds or something? i need to know. i've searched the net for the past 30 min to no avail. i'm rewiringsome neons/LED's that i have into a power switch, but i can't figure out the wiring. rsvp asap!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also anotehr related question i have - i'm running two neon lights and a set of led's, each which came with the cig. lighter plugin which each had a 1 amp fuse. they're all spliced into one plugin with a single 1 amp use currently, which works fine. if i change to a 3 amp fuse will they still work or is this letting too much amperage through?

---> answered, thank you! still need to know the cig. lighter answer!

·
Registered
618 Posts
If it's a fuse, then it shouldn't be a problem, unless too much power does get through, then it could damage the LED's and\or the neons.

I think what you're thinking of is a resistor, which will essentially lessen the current going through it, while a fuse will "blow" if the specified rating is exceded.

I say if the lights are working fine and you're not blowing fuses left and right, then keep it that way.

·
Registered
15,393 Posts
Juggernaut said:
is the button positive power and the sides grounds or something?
Yes. And if you have a 1991-1996 it's fused for 20A, but the fuse itself is all by itself next to the fusebox (no it's not with the others I have no idea why; basically it's upper right of most of the rest of the fuses; very confusing). Learned this the hard way after my inverter too out the fuse once.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, after i thought about it for awhile, and discussed it with a couple engineer friends, we came to the same conclusion. i also checked out the wiring diagram in the haynes manual. but even knowing that, i still goofed in my wiring :p this has taken far too long...but at least i know what needs to be done now...

on a side note, i also almost have my rear speakers/amp and sub/ amp all rewired and mounted in my hatch, pics will ensue once it's complete!! same with the neon wiring and switch :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts