FEOA Forums banner

chopping springs

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pstrbrc 
#1 ·
i have a 93 lx 4 door hatch i know its not reccomended, but i have always done it... on these springs since these springs are loosley wound.. but has any one done it and how much did you chop?

#2 ·
I know one person who did it to their 1st gen. He said it rode rather rough, and on the bump stops of the stock struts/shocks, but he enjoyed it that way. I'm still tossing the idea around for the front as my nose sits way too high (took too much weight out), although I'm also considering a spring kit, or even lose a couple limbs and get some UK coilover kits.

#4 ·
racerboy said:
Where do you chop them? how many coils can you go without rubbing? Also, would heating the springs help at all? I hear it makes them harder but I don't know if it would.
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

OK, this is why folks just tell people "DON'T DO THIS!!!"

#1. Never, never, NEVER torch a spring. In fact, when you cut a spring, do EVERYTHING you can to avoid heat in the spring.

#2. Basic rule of "cutting" (not chopping! It sounds like you're using a SawzAll!) is become familiar with how the spring fits in the suspension. If one end of the spring has a smaller diameter coil than the other, don't cut that end. For instance, my AMC's all used a tapered coil, so there was always a "right" end and a "wrong" end to cut from. Make sure you understand how they fit into the suspension before you do anything. A suggestion? Do the hard work of replacing your own struts without modifying the coils. Get your own spring compressors, see how everything fits together, make sure you put it back together right and it works "stock" before you try anything else.

#3. Next question, "How much to cut?" With the car on its wheels on level ground, reach around the tire and measure the distance between the lowest two coils. On my '96, that looks like about 1.5" front and 2" rear. If I wanted to lower my car 1" both front and back, that would be 2/3 of a coil on the front, and 1/2 of the coil on the back. Now, that's only a rough estimate, so we're not gonna need micrometer-accurate measuring, but you HAVE to make sure you cut off exactly the same side-to-side. So, to continue using my '96 as an example, the fronts appear to be about 22" in circumference, and the rears a little over 18". WARNING!! These measurements come from me walking out to the driveway with a steel tape measure, and just taking a quickie measurement. If I were going to do this, I would measure, and measure, and MEASURE. Anyway, according to these numbers, I would want to cut off ~12" on the front coils, and 9" on the rear. ANOTHER WARNING! If I do this based on my measurements, and it comes out badly, that's MY fault. If YOU do this based on my measurements, and it comes out badly, it's YOUR fault. My advice is worth every penny you're paying for it.

#4. Now for the cutting. Measuring accurately how far around the coil you're going to cut is important only from the standpoint of making sure you cut the same off both front springs and both rear springs. I have a seamstress tape in my toolbox just for this. measure around the outside of the coil, and put several wraps of masking tape at the cut line on the side of the spring you're cutting off. Use the thinnest cutting wheel you can for your cut-off tool. (This creates less heat.) Get a spray bottle full of water, and make sure it's set on "mist". You're gonna use this to keep the "good" side of the cut cooled off while you cut. If you do this right, you won't see hardly any sparks. Hold the spring by one of the middle coils in a vise with the place you will be cutting at the top of the coil facing you. Cut as straight as possible, continuously spraying the spring right next to the cut-off wheel. Don't force the speed of the cut, just let the weight of the cut-off tool do the work. Be careful not to touch the "waste" side of the spring (the part you're cutting off), 'cause it WILL get hot. In fact, the masking tape will probably burn. Make sure when it falls off that you don't get stupid and try to catch it! After the cut is finished, finish cooling off the new end of the spring, then grab a file and deburr it.
Then do the other one. Then do the ones from the other end of the car. Then put everything back together.

:eek:
Now drive the car and find out how bad you screwed it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.