FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been happening for awhile now, but I've not bothered with looking into it due to low funds, time, and really, lack of problems.

The check engine light for my '93 LX will come on sometimes after reaching constant highway speeds for a few minutes. If it's just a quick jaunt to 100kph/60mph and back to in town speeds (like a quick race or whatever, not that I do any...), it won't come on. Driving through town normally it won't come on. Only driving on the highway or similar type road for at least 5min+, then it'll come on. Sometimes, after 5-10 minutes of highway speeds, it turns off. On a few long trips, it's stayed on for an hour, then not come back on for the rest of the 8 hour trip. Another time it stayed on for most of the trip.

I've noticed no loss in power, no strange sounds or smells, no overheating at all, milage has actually increased as of late, interstingly enough, but the light's been coming on/off before the increase. It's always been kept up in maintenance, oil changes and such. Haven't checked plugs in awhile though, and could probably use a clean air filter. Rad's new, exhaust is new, and beyond that I can't really think of anything else besides a sensor going somewhere. I'm stumped otherwise. I don't have a code checker available. Any thoughts before I finally go and take it in to the dealer (have to get my oil pan replaced too, hairline crack/leak) would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
engine light

Hi, I had a similar problem, mine started out just like yours. After trying many things I found this websight and posted my problem. It was suggested that I change or clean the MAF. I removed it and found that it was dirty. Since I had nothing to loose I cleaned it with a mild spray degreaser [which can be found in an electronics suppy house] reinstalled it and no more problem. If you go onto yahoo and put in MAF sensor you will find more than one page one how to clean it . Hope this works for you. Paul

·
Registered
15,415 Posts
highanddry said:
I'd bet on your exhaust O2 sensor.
My O2 sensor had exactly the same symptoms when it went.

Autozone (or some auto parts store, I forget which) will pull your codes for free. However you can read them yourself if you get a piece of wire and count the blinking light. The instructions for the EEC-IV computer are real easy to follow. Just don't try to do it outside in full daylight, at dusk or in a garage is OK because you see the blinking light better. You need to parctice reading the blinking light but it won't take long for you to get the pattern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts