FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the exhaust systems on these cars inherently weak or is mine that old? Over the winter i broke my exhaust in front of the cat, last night i broke my exhaust where the flex pipe meets the pipe off the cat. WTH! so now i need a new cat anyway so im thinking of getting this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23337/

anyone ever use one of those? and whats a good cheaper exhaust for cat-back? thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,070 Posts
That cat looks fine. Its a Magnaflow and they usually make good stuff.

My exhaust broke of at the flex pipe too. That part seems to rust alot because the rest of the system was fine. I bought a new flex pipe and welded it in. A muffler shop can probably do the same thing for you. Any replacement exhaust you get unless its stainless will not last as long as the original. The one from the factory is made of thicker metal that is also less prone to rusting. The replacement systems are made of cheaper steel that will rust easily.

·
Registered
461 Posts
wintersucks said:
while on the exhaust topic what is the muffler like thing under the cabin of the car, i was told it is a resonator or somthing like that
It is a resonator.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That cat is the same one I had installed with stock piping and it make a big improvement over the stock cat.

After some time I made the rest of the exhaust system 2.25" SS flex, SS Resonator and SS Magnaflow Muffler and Tip. And now it have a lot of take off power and very good top speed. Oh and the best thing better fuel economy and lower engine temp.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You can strait pipe it but it will sound a bit more loud. with resonator it will have a deeper tone.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,070 Posts
The resonator is a straight through design so you won't really gain anything by removing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.