FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to either put on a cone filter, and get a bigger VAF off a mazda, or just do the cone filter, so i have to make my own adapter for the cone filter right?
any other cheap engine mods? advance the timing a smidgen? (turn it CW or CCW) also hoping to do a 2 inch cat back, but i dunno if its in the budget.

anything else?

· Registered
2,719 Posts
VAF swap is an easy one, I just did it, but I think I'll have to crack it open and lean it out a click or two more as my multimeter wasn't reading my O2 signal very well. Here is the how-to.

http://www.nwerdt.com/how-to/mechanical/rx7vaf swap/rx7vafswap.htm

Join clubprotege.com

To advance timing, turn it CCW, 12-16 is perfect. I think at 16 it is recommended that you run higher octane fuel. Only do so if you hear pinging out of the motor.

These motors also respond very well to intake mods. getting rid of the stock intake tubing is the biggest, for sure. Cone filter with a nice smooth intake pipe.

Pacesetter headers are pretty cheap, and I'm sure you could get a shop to fab up a 2-2.5" exhaust system for 250-300 dollars.

That's about it for the easy stuff. After that you get into the exhaust cam swap, higher compression pistons, or boost

· Registered
1,117 Posts
because making an adapter is fun :p I just didn't wanna buy the filter kit, just filter for 25, and adapter took 20 minutes to make :) works great.

I'm mr cheapy if I knew that filter was out there for 45 dollars (yeah 20 shipping ouch...) I mighta bought that instead of buying an autozone cone for 25. meh. if you don't wanna fab something up, that's a great option thanks for sharing the link onegimp! very affordable.

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies everyone, i will look into swapping the intake tube, i have to keep that box thing that is on the intake tube thought right? i heard that was the IAC or something else computer controlled

· Registered
1,117 Posts
free shipping in the US too wow, that's a heck of a deal! I almost am going to buy that just so I can get a good VAF adapter :p lol naw, tempting tho

nice find!

· Registered
2,719 Posts
If you were to get a new intake pipe, it would have a nipple of the IAC, the link works, just copy and paste it, the page creator is special and doesn't know that spaces in web addresses are bad.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah I'm super cheap, I used the black box to make my intake hose work, the original intake hose. I cut the nipple out of the black box, cut a hole in the intake tube, and siliconed the nipple into the intake hose, ran the IAC line to that, cut to fit, boom. works pretty darn good the only disadvantage with that over a metal pipe is it's not smooth inside, and it doesn't make cool noises when you step like a true metal CAI pipe does. but for the way I drive the stock pipe is fine modded to fit the IAC line like I did, and no leaks either! works great.

when I go to harbor freight if I don't a coupon I don't go :p or a 15 or 20% off lol but I gotta be cheap I don't have a job, blew through most of my savings fixing the stuff on my GT, I shoulda just rebuilt the LX motor but then it still woulda been the suck anyway, GT better.

but yeah the cold air intake metal pipe have everything you need built into it, that's gotta be nice! I'll make a custom pipe someday! it'll be sweet. and SHORT.

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that link is really good i figured out how to make it work haha,
i was planning on advancing the timing a bit too so that helped. does advancing the timing really help mileage? also can i go to 12 or 13 and still run regular? i dont want to run 89 or 92, so let me know.

ill look for a RX7 VAF but there arent many in the yards near me, so i doubt i will do that swap, and ill probably get that filter kit off ebay.

thanks

· Registered
2,719 Posts
I think I'm running 12'ish advanced at the moment and I run regular 87/88.

easiest way to get an rx7 vaf I've found is from someone who has already gotten one but would rather sell it than use it.

Joel, just wait til you hear my car now, when you let off the throttle out of gear there is a sweet whine, almost like a supercharger would sound. I can't wait to get a new exhaust.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
silverton said:
Joel, just wait til you hear my car now, when you let off the throttle out of gear there is a sweet whine, almost like a supercharger would sound. I can't wait to get a new exhaust.
:lol: YESSSS nutter butter dude. I gots to hear! and obviously you have more power than me now! that's good!

I almost wanna do a super charger on my car if I had the money..... when I get my weekend GT and a job I will! get a miata super! should bolt right on I'd imagine if not modify to make it work! that'd be sawEEET

yeah dude I could work your exhaust over for ya, get a cheap muffler toss it on there, just till you get enough saved up, that muffler is the most restrictive part, cut off wheel, 20 min to mock the muffler up, weld weld, good flow bud idk running stock pipes with a nice flowing muffler works for me! and no resonator! that's an easy mod too, cut cut, pipe in, weld weld

· Registered
2,719 Posts
it really doesn't take much effort to advance the timing, it's just two bolts and twisting the distributor. takes like 5 minutes, just move it a little bit and you should in the 12 or 14 range. best to do it with a timing light that way you don't go too advanced.

· Registered
436 Posts
Ok all there is alot of good info here. Just a question for u all.

If you pull all the silencers off and out. There is a gap at the front of the L side. Has anyone dropped the cone filter into this slot and opened up the front to let the PNW ice cold air in. My biggest concern with doing this is the possibility of letting water near the cone of fresh air.

Any thoughts on this?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.