FEOA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well my car has been sputtering for about a month now.. Ive done everything from new inline fuel filter to new plugs and wires... Im down to my last option here Im going to try and replace my intank fuel filter (sock).. ok first off how do I do this.. and next how much is it going to cost because I know once you open it up you have to buy a new gasket... let me know what you think..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You can get a walboro 255L/H (REALLY HIGH PERFORMANCE) pump for 96 bucks through this guy in Texas. His kit comes with EVERYTHING. Takes about 15mins to do.

unclip the back seat.
Use a screw driver and hammer to open it.
Pull the pump and sending unit.
Get the new pump in
splice the wires
put the new sock on
new O-ring
screwback together
put the seat back

and you´re all set to go turbo or nitrous or whatever, but same price as an OEM pump from the parts store.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
It obviously sounds like Blade has never done this before. Any one who has ever changed a fuel pump or removed the tank knows

DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER OR ANYTHING ELSE MADE OF STEEL TO REMOVE THE RETAINING RING :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

You must use a non-ferrous metal (does not contain iron) like copper or aluminum to remove the retaining ring. If you do use a steel punch, a screwdriver, or even the head of the hammer, you WILL create a spark that will MOST LIKELY BLOW YOU UP. Aluminum and copper will work well as they do not spark when struck.

Before you change your fuel pump, check the following

Fuel Pressure Regulator
Timing Belt
Clean your intake

These are simple things that are easy to do and cheap to replace. If you have access to one, get a fuel pressure guage and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

If you are set on changing that filter, I would recommend just changing the whole pump. I don´t even know if you can just buy that filter.

To do this:

Disconnect the Battery

Remove rear seat

Unscrew the access panel

Disconnect the harness

Touch the frame of your car to get rid of any static electricity which will ALSO
BLOW YOU UP

USING A NON FERROUS METAL remove the retaining ring by hammering counter clock wise. I recommend having a spare retaining ring -which is not included in the kit- as when I changed my it broke since it was rusted through. It also took a day for me to get another one, it wasn´t an on the shelf part. So make sure you have one first.

Using a small brush, remove any debris on top. If any debris gets in the tank, it will most surely cause you grief later when it plugs up the in tank filter.

Remove the pump assembly. This will require a bit of ´finess´ to jiggle out of the opening. Watch out for the fuel level sending unit.

Change the pump. Once out of the tank it just pops out of the bracket.

Installation is the reverse.

When re-installing, put a bit of grease or oil on the new seal to aid in installation.

Also, make sure that your trouble light is in good condition. Any sparks from that and you will again blow yorself up. In addition to any good work area, make sure you have proper ventilation, gas fumes apart from being explosive make you really high. :-o

As nerv racking as that sounds, it is a really easy job as long as you take the proper precautions.

Good Luck

Matt :cool:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I really hate to say this, but if you are using enough force to cause a spark witht he screwdriver you might want to take a second look at what you are doing...I have changed a few of the pumps in the past including my own and have used a screwdriver when necessary....although my favorite was a straight bar....it worked out fairly well as I am still driving my car today....although I will say that disconnecting the battery is the first step....dfeinitely be careful about causing sparks around the fuel tank...but you do not have to be over paranoid.....it´s not like we´re dealing with pure oxygen

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah, I´ve never done it before (please refer to current EGT mods listed for my vehicle)

BTW...many times to turn those stupid things you have to use a little force like a screwdriver and hammer....but causing a spark, I´m not trying to break the thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea you remove the backseat in 2nd gen scorts and the fuel pump is right there. convenient till something starts leaking through and soaking your backseat in fuel. if i had lit a match in my car it would have exploded lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet.. thanks for all the help.. Ill let you know if I blow myself up after I get a day off work and a chance to change it..

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
18-04-2003 at 20:57, Pimp_scort_89_GT wrote:
Take off the seat and hav access to your fuel pump? No Fair.... :-[ I have to take my tank all the way out, that really sucks without a lift.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

I remember that model....my condolences....lol

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Maybe for you boys down south in the U S of A it´s not a problem to use a screwdriver. Things work great when they´re like new, but up here in Canada, and I´m sure the northern state know what I´m talking about, after many years on your car, things rust solid. Rust solid enough that you´ll even have a hard time identifying parts. When I went to do mine, the metal brackets on the tank and the ring were one rusted blob. So yes, you do need to hit stuff that hard to remove it. That´s when not using a screwdriver is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
18-04-2003 at 17:26, fixitmattman wrote:

Touch the frame of your car to get rid of any static electricity which will ALSO
BLOW YOU UP
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

......... and please don´t strike a match to see what you´re doing!! :-(

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Along those lines, here´s a true story.

Where I currently work we rent construction and industrial equipment. This particular customer had rented an electric scissor lift (think cherry picker, only straight up). When a customer rents one of these there is specified maintainace that they need to perform. One of these maintainance checks is to check the water/acid level in the 4 batteries daily. We all know that lighting in factories isn´t always the greatest. The fellow who was told to check the batteries, who was untrained by the way, went to do so but couldn´t see the level due to the poor lighting conditions. Being the intuitive person he was, he immidately reached for his lighter.

KaBOOM

The ´uninformed´ SOB blew up the battery and was lucky not to blow up most of his face with it too :-o The singe marks left on the machine were very ´interesting´ to say the least. By the way, he had to pay to replace the batteries he damaged :-]

·
Registered
8,915 Posts

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
19-04-2003 at 17:38, fixitmattman wrote:
The fellow who was told to check the batteries, who was untrained by the way, went to do so but couldn´t see the level due to the poor lighting conditions. Being the intuitive person he was, he immidately reached for his lighter.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Seems to me that his boss should have his ass fired for telling an untrained person to do something like that, without at least giving him the proper instructions to do the job safely and correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts