FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Tracer sedan, 135,000 miles. Today I put full synthetic in for the first time. For the firs time ever I can notice a tick with the hood up. It increases with the RPMs. Sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine. The dip stick reads full, no leaks. Am I worrying about nothing? Drove it about 20 miles no issues.

· Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
injectors, perfectly normal.

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Sounds like hydraulic lifter tick. Not a huge deal, I have had one for a while and will address it when I do a cam swap though. Many syn. oils even though the same grade/weight are actually "thinner", having a different viscosity, they flow with less resistance. Many synthetic oils molecules are actually "smaller" and are suspect to increase leaks, or at least flow through them easier. Is there a possibility that tick was there prior to change and not noticed. I run a heavier oil because of the tick and many miles on original engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.