FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i got back from the auto store, changed my air filter, then i gapped the new plugs to .43 and replaced the plugs. now, when im driving and put it into nutral the RPMs go down to 1000 then about 2 seconds later drop down to 0 and it stalls. please help.... and thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
check and recheck all ur plugs and wires, not spark plugs or wires i mean everything else, check all vacum hoses all sensors, u might have unpluged something!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
wickedwagon2 said:
check and recheck all ur plugs and wires, not spark plugs or wires i mean everything else, check all vacum hoses all sensors, u might have unpluged something!!
yea, you probably disconnected a hose or wire by accident somewhere. just recheck everything. since you say "while i'm driving" it's obviously running good while it's not trying to idle, so my guess would be you forgot to hook a vacuum hose up somewhere

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just checked it over and looks fine. tightned the plugs a little more and now it idles roughly from 450-1100 RPMs for about 5-6 seconds before stalling. the boots? on the wires were the wires connect to the plugs seem loose. i had to really pull and twist hard to get them off and now i can pull lightly and the pop right off. i know i didnt pull the wires to get them off the plugs.... thanks guys.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found a hose that is as hard as a rock and has some small cracks. i have a 1.9 H0 (88 egt) and its the hose about 2 inches back and about 2 inches down from the PCV valve. its on the right hand side of the engine. its all connected but there seems to be some oil where it connects to the engine so i dont think the seal is completely tight. can anyone tell me what this hose is called so i can go to the store and get it? or is it something a mechanic should replace? thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i was looking at the old plugs and they are gapped to 1 MM!!! in my Haynes they say to gap them at .44 but did i gap them to small? thanks.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
pballer98c said:
well i was looking at the old plugs and they are gapped to 1 MM!!! in my Haynes they say to gap them at .44 but did i gap them to small? thanks.
The gap in the plugs widens over time. Yes that little electrical spark actually pushes them apart! Exactly what kind of plugs did you put in?
what gap does the sticker under the hood specify. I'd go with the sticker over a haynes manual. Also, did you try reinstalling the old ones to see if it got better?

Replace all cracked hoses! Air or vacuum leaks are real bad.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you could gap them anywhere between .2 and 1mm but it still wouldn't make the car idle rough then die.. take off the cracked vacuum hose, replace it, and get back to us. (go to the hardware store and buy 6feet of the hose, it comes in real handy)

·
Registered
911 Posts
yes it would tito.... if its gapped too big...it can miss...therefore making rough idle.... if gapped too small...the spark is hotter and can cause the plug to get hot and crack... then it would sound like its out of timing....(running on only however many plugs were still working)

pballer...my thinking is this..... Since u have new plugs.....are they better plugs? some plugs require more current than normal plugs..thats why there are diff plugs for all cars.....so my idea is to double check the plug....then other option is wires... i remember when i was gettin shit for idle i changed my plugs and still had shit idle...changed the wires and problem solved....i suggest you do that too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow... i realized what was wrong about an hour ago... stupid me gapped to .42 mm NOT .042 inches. sigh.... my gap was 1/2 of what it was supposed to be. thanks guys for all the help... me and my stupid little errors. all is good now.

·
Registered
911 Posts
"if its gapped too big...it can miss...therefore making rough idle.... "

- God i love being right!!! :D

Neway, good to hear pballer...i've done that before too... my problem was i only spaced one too big....so i checked 3 and figured i had done it right...5 hours later i found that it was that one i didnt check was like .1mm

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
pballer98c said:
wow... i realized what was wrong about an hour ago... stupid me gapped to .42 mm NOT .042 inches. sigh.... my gap was 1/2 of what it was supposed to be. thanks guys for all the help... me and my stupid little errors. all is good now.
yea, i get my inches and mm mixed up too... but yea, .42mm would cause some shit :) my bust, yo

·
Registered
899 Posts
ok, for the know it all's its not going to make a big diff if you gap the plugs a little to wide, that is if you have electronic ignition. youre ignition system, will automaticaly adjust to the size of the gap, by sending more voltage to the plugs. the spark does not push the two pieces apart but infact wears the electrode down, making the gap larger. i always set my gap from .035-.040. when i first read your post i thought maybe that you may have cracked a plug wile puting them in, i used to do that all the time. never use auto light in a four cylinder car. 4 cylinder cars produce to much heat for them. the best plugs to use i think are ngk. japanese oh yea , a little rice for ya.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts