FEOA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,079 Posts
Remember the old Dura-lube commercials? They should make a new one showing how it stands up against the stuff they put in the engine.

What do they do if the stuff they put in doesn't kill the engine?

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are some rare cars/trucks that have been victims of cash for clunkers, such as a GMC Typhoon and a GMC Syclone despite regulations that are supposed to exclude rare vehicles. Pictures of the syclone aren't showing up but can be found on camaroz28.com.

·
Registered
742 Posts
scort965spd said:
There are some rare cars/trucks that have been victims of cash for clunkers, such as a GMC Typhoon and a GMC Syclone despite regulations that are supposed to exclude rare vehicles. Pictures of the syclone aren't showing up but can be found on camaroz28.com.

NOOOOOOO!!!! Idiots! If I was the guy at the dealership Id tell the person to go screw themselfs.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,079 Posts
Thats stupid. You don't trash a rare car. The one thing I will say though is the vehicles that the Typhoon and Syclone are based off of are pure junk. Its only the specialness of those versions that makes me angry. I'm sure alot of people don't know what they've got or they want to most money and will do anything to get it. I bet the SHO qualifys for the program to. :cry:

Its starting to sound like it might be worth it to wait at a dealership with $4500 cash in you pocket and wait for something good to come along. If you can get to the person before they sign the paperwork I bet they would rather have cash than a rebate.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I read an article in todays paper that people are using this program to buy vehicles that get less than 20 mpg. Examples included a version of the Cadillac SRX Crossover and the Hummer H3T. Both average less than 18 mpg. Why would these even qualify for the program?!!
I thought the whole point of this deal was to get gas guzzlers off the road?
Just another case of our wise elected officials making the most of our tax dollars :mad:

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,079 Posts
I thought you had to buy a car that got better mileage than the one you traded in?

·
My old archenemy, RAKES!
6,146 Posts
The only reason I could see to trade in that Typhoon would be if it didn't run. Otherwise, couldn't you get more than $4500 for that just by selling it? Doesn't make sense. But then again, not much about this crap does.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,079 Posts
Cymmantix said:
The only reason I could see to trade in that Typhoon would be if it didn't run.
The vehicle has to run and be drivable for them to accept it for the program.

I now realize that I am monopolizing this thread so I will lay off it for awhile.

·
My old archenemy, RAKES!
6,146 Posts
I was aware of that, but the fact remains - that's the only condition I would trade that vehicle in. Why else would you? A quick check of blue book value puts the retail in excellent condition at over $12k! Even in "fair" condition with 150k miles, the trade in (lowest) value is over $5700.

Again, makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,079 Posts
I bet the dealers have something to do with it as well. With cash for clunkers, the dealer doesn't give you the credit for your trade, the government does. The dealer also doesn't have to do as much with the car you traded as well.

In short, the dealers don't have to credit you for your trade when you buy a new car so in the end they are making more money. For this reason, dealers are also probably quoting people excessively low trade-in values to encourage them to use the program. Lets say, a high volume dealer sells 50 new cars in a month using the cash for clunkers program for the trades. Lets see, $4500 X 50 = $225,000! That's around $225,000 the dealer would have lost had they given people fair trade in value for there cars.

While that number doesn't take into account the cars traded that were worth less than $4500 it does make a point. Not to mention the extra cars the dealer is going to sell because of the program. Ford has said it will step up production of the Focus because of the demand the program has created for it.

·
Registered
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I know someone who took advantage of this program. They bought the last Corolla available before the dealer jacked the price on all their remaining Corollas due to high demand because of cash for clunkers. So anyone who was going to buy a Corolla anyway, gets to pay $1300 extra, just because of this program.

·
My old archenemy, RAKES!
6,146 Posts
I read a local newspaper article over the weekend where they had interviewed a medium sized dealer in my area. According to the sales manager (whom they interviewed), the dealership still hadn't received any government funds toward the cars they took in trade. They said they would be forced to suspend the program soon as a result. I wonder if this is the case elsewhere...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
ive asked a lot of people what they do to the cash for clunker cars, and no one thought they crushed all the cars. im totally against cash for clunkers, and ive even talked my girlfriends stepdad out of doing it because his explorer is still in great condition, and he agreed that it would be a waste to kill a perfectly fine car. :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Cymmantix said:
The only reason I could see to trade in that Typhoon would be if it didn't run. Otherwise, couldn't you get more than $4500 for that just by selling it? Doesn't make sense. But then again, not much about this crap does.
I guess I could see if it had a salvage title and the rear end/tranny etc were going out and the turbo was toast. there was only 4500 or so made, but still If noone wants it, and you can't sell it before it breaks.

That said, the program is a horrible waste of money, car parts and time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
red97lxscort said:
Cymmantix said:
I guess I could see if it had a salvage title and the rear end/tranny etc were going out and the turbo was toast. there was only 4500 or so made, but still If noone wants it, and you can't sell it before it breaks.

That said, the program is a horrible waste of money, car parts and time.
Those things broke are worth more than 4500 bucks.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.