FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven out to Carlyle Lake from St. Louis for the past three days straight and since I don't feel like sleeping on our sailboat, even though it has beds, I've ended up also driving home, which is about 130 miles round trip, sixty five one way. Anyways tonight I'm kind of tired and so I'm doing about ninety all the way home, and about the time I get on highway sixtyfour(Illinois) I meet up with these two eclipses, a base second gen and a four cylander 2003 (one of the new ones, anyways, I'm not sure exactly what year) and they're cruising doing about eighty, eighty five maybe and I pass them. One of them (the new model one) has underglow but it's mounted wrong, so that the neons are on the outside of the car, and my friend points and laughs as we go past. The two eclipses floor it, so I floor it to and start to use up what's left of my powerband at ninety, so we're flying down the highway doing about a hundred, and climbing, weaving in and out of traffic and I'm like 'no way they're gonna beat me' and 'I hope to god there aren't any cops around'. Anyways, we stay like this for quite a while then cross the border into missouri, and we're flying down highway forty (which goes right through the middle of the city) doing like 115, hundred and twenty, weaving in and out of traffic doing more than twice the speed limit. Scared the crap out of me, I've never done anything like it before. We all three sort of hung together the whole time, and when we went single I managed to stay in the lead. I never did leave them behind though, one of them ended up getting off at an exit and the other one followed me up the off ramp on my exit and then turned right when I turned left. It was great though, seeing as my only perfomance mod is a cone air filter. I can honestly say that while it was very fun it also almost made me piss my pants so I won't be doing anything like it again. Empty roads only for me from now on. I just thought it was cool that I was able to hang with 'em and not lose 'em.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Great story coyote. Base models aren't that quick. had that been a GST and the newer one had the V6, they would have left you. but good...sorta...kill none the less. I agree, open roads for me when speeding. I love the south part of I469, almost always empty. I nailed 115 mph on the way home from work. :wink:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I pass Carlyle whenever i go home. I know someone that's having a party there here soon. Good job on the eclipses.........i work with someone that's got one and he stomps a mud hole in my butt. He's got turbo and underdrive pullies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i havent tried to c how fast i can get up to with my new car... i had an lx before now i have a 93 gt... gunna have to try one day...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little thing I should note: A totally stock 97 LX will only do 110. I cut the governer so I can get up past that if I want.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's your governor talking, dude. :) You cut it off and I bet you could hit 115 easy. Everyone else seems to stop around 119, third gens have different gearing, I think, not really sure. I've pegged it though, and the speedo ends at 120.

·
Registered
402 Posts
coyote-x said:
That's your governor talking, dude. :) You cut it off and I bet you could hit 115 easy. Everyone else seems to stop around 119, third gens have different gearing, I think, not really sure. I've pegged it though, and the speedo ends at 120.
i had it pegged at 120 today too.....and still room to go but my passenger was about to cry so i stopped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts