FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bp only turns on when i open the vaf flap with my hand. Or else the car doesn't turn on. exhaust gas temperature is very hot because fireballs come out from the exhaust manifold, and other parts of the exhaust piping are getting very hot as i can tell because the inside of the car is burning hot because the heat is transferring from the piping to the chassis. I think plugs, wires are good because the car runs once u open the vaf. you can rev it and all. i tried to check for codes but it didnt flash anything.

idk how to tell if its running lean, i've switched between 2 u code vafs that i have and same problems on both

i have to keep holding the vaf or else if i let go the flap closes and it dies

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Is the VAF horizontal??? It's supposed to be mounted as horizaontal as possible, or the flap will not function properly. Are you sure the VAF's you tried are in good working condition? I had to replace mine recently, because it stuck open, and at idle and low rpms, it stuttered and ran like crap, cause of too much air

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really its supposed to be as horizontal as possinble? i had no idea ill have to check that out, so it should really be Diagonal like slanted on a downward angle?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
He meant to convey horizontal as level. Mount VAF level, gravity can cause it to be inaccurate, but I doubt that's the problem. Do you have any unmetered air leaks in the intake tube? If you have a large leak, it could run lean with unmetered air messing things up. What year is your ride? OBDII?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OBD1 its a protege, i swapped a ford bp into it, it was running fine and whatnot but yea today i tried mounting the vaf perfectly horizontal and it didnt do anything even a little slantted so it could help it open but nothing, the car now does start up a little bit and runs sometimes for a little longer at real low rpms and then after a while it dies. you can hear backfire and the vaf flapper opening and closing

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doubt it, i just swapped tb's didn't do anything although i did use the same tps but i really dont think thats it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Ford didn't make a BP, it's a mazda motor, just has a silly ford valve cover. I'd checked VAF functionality and for intake leaks. My intake tube is all sorts of messed up along the accordion area, had to use a gasket maker to seal it up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
well if you used the same tps than really you didnt change a thing see if the car does the same with out the tps plugged in if so then its most likely it.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Did the Protege org. have the 1.8l BP in it? Did you change wiring harness? Have the problem as soon as swap was completed or later on? Are you using a vaf for the 1.8l (I don't know if there is a difference between sohc or dohc Proteges. You don't happen to have access to some 90-94 Protege mirrors do you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts