FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road the other day and my car kept stalling out. Each time it kept getting harder and harder to start back up. After it sat for a while it was ok and would drive for a while with no problems then it would start to sputter really badly when it idled. I was driving down a road trying to get my 93 lx up to speed and it wouldn't get up to 45 mph then it just died while I was driving. Then when I cranked it to try and start it back up it sounded like it wanted to turn over but wouldn't start I at first thought it wasn't getting any fuel so I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't help. I then tried to replace the brain in the car and that didn't work. I know the fuel pump is still working. So now I am stumped I was wondering if anyone out there had any advise on where to go next or if this has happened to anyone out there and what they had to do to fix it?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I'm assuming your battery is strong and terminals are tight.

Was your Check Engine Light on?

If yes, replace your O2 sensor. You gotta tell us all the symptoms (like CEL on), not just some of them. This isn't a game.

What do you mean you "tried to replace the brain in the car and that didn't work"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this isn't a game first off, second by the "brain" most would know I was talking about the ECU, and I said all of the simptoms, I was driving down the road and it was losing pick up, then it just died like it wasn't getting anymore fuel, yes the battery is strong and the terminal post are tight otherwise it wouldn't be trying to crank over. Its like its not getting either gas, or enough spark to turn over. I check to see if the spark plugs were sparking and they were. It cranks over but it won't kick over, it just keeps cranking like its wants to start but its not getting either gas or spark so if someone has any ideas on what it could be please post thanks!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Check your MAF and check your vacuum lines like jeff said.Also make sure your egr valve is tight on your intake manifold.My egr valve was loose and the car sputtered like it wanted to die.I know if you unplug your MAF the car wont start it will crank but nothing else.Another thing is you might have a bad fuel cut off switch.Just a few things for you to check.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I know that the "brain" is the ECU :roll: . I don't understand if you actually replaced the ECU or not. You said you tried to replace it but that didn't work. I don't know how to interpret that statement.

Get your codes read. You may (and likely do) have a code without the CEL on. Could be your crank position sensor or wires to it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I had the same problem with my 97lx. It would sputter and then stalled when I was sitting at a light.

It ended up being that the ignition coil was malfunctioning, and 2 cylinders were miss-firing.

I'm not an expert, but the symptoms sound similar.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
sounds like heat soaked electronics to me if it works after its sat, then as it runs it gradually gets worse. check the coil pack resistances both primary and secondary, and then go after the EDIS control module.

if the fuel filter hasnt been changed in the lsat year/12k miles, do it.

spark and fuel have nothing to do with whether or not it cranks over or not too btw. you could take out the coil and plugs and the fuel pump and the car should still crank over strong.

tell me what color the spark was on the plug when you checked it? what is your fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the fuel filter that was the first thing I did, I am going to change the coil pack next to see if that helps. I did change the ECU I took out the old one out and put in one from the junk yard, now it is quite possible that the one from the junk yard is bad, so I am going to exchange it tommorow for another and see if that helps. It does crank strong but it does not kick over. Thanks for the help anymore information please post. thanks!

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Really stupid question, but did you try putting gas in? Your fuel gague could be malfunctioning. My Grand Prix did this at one point in time, and I fixed that up (I had only had the car for about a week). I know it's something simple, but that's what it is a lot of the time! Those are my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
If his timing belt had snapped, his car would have just died very suddenly and not tried to turn over later. His symptoms are not in keeping with a timing belt problem.

I also don't believe it is a MAF problem - his problem is acute and happened very suddenly from the sounds of it.

Any results from reading the codes yet? You have to start with codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an almost identical problem. I tested the coil, and checked the timing belt; both came out good. I checked the fuel pump just for fun, and it's good as well.
With mine the check engine light IS on, so would that mean I should replace the O2 sensor too? And is there any way to test the MAF so I don't have to scavange for a known working one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts