FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Guys and Gals!

Well, I was driving to work this past Thursday (Last night) and all of a sudden the Scort just stops responding to throttle. I investigated under the hood, and found that the battery terminal was loose so I tightened it up... But the car still won't start. When I turn te key the car starts spinning the Crank and there is the sound of current running, but the starter doesn't seem to actually DO anything... What do you think the problem may beI have come up woth the following possibilities: Starter or Ignition Switch. Anything else electrical? Also I had to run th ecar for 30 minutes without cooling at low RPM's to get off the freeway when I lost my waterpump/alternator belt. could this have caused a Major problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to render.

·
Registered
911 Posts
u say when you turn the car it starts spinning the crank but no sound from starter? The only way the crank could move is if the starter is turning it? i'm confused. What do you mean by the crank?

·
Registered
30 Posts
same ting happened to me, cept it was lights left on killing battery. low elec starting will kill your fuel pump. thats what did mine in. you may want to have that checked.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All belts are in good condition I checked Timing belts when I replaced te water pump/alternator belt and the AC PS belt. And I realized that it probably isn't the starter later after I posted this, bt forgot to edit it, which leaves me with the ignition switch.

And it is definitely NOT the Battery. I just got a brand new battery with plenty of juice. I ran the radio for about 20 minutes while waiting for my parents to come help me tow the car back to my schoool, and there was no loss of charge of any "major" magnitude (I have learned to detect lost charge from the headlights and Stereo performance in my car.) Yes, The Terminals were cleaned before reconnected.

I'm still kinda fumbling here so I think I'll have to take it to the nearest Ford Dealership as I will have to have it towed, and my Mechanic's Garage is over 30 Miles away, AAA only covers 7 Miles....

Thanks again for the help and keep the suggestions coming it will probably be a couple days before the car goes to a mechanic as I have other more pressing matters to worry about.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I finally got out into the parking lot with my tools and removed the timing cover only to find the belt is in perfect condition and spinning when I try to start the car...

I'm back to my original two "options" either something is not right with the Starter or maybe it is the ignition system...

If anyone has anymore Ideas I would love to hear them... thanks again!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm assuming you mean the fuelinjector fuse, right there isn't one for the pump under the hood. I picked up a new pump and a new relay, butnow I can't find the dang relay... According to the Haynes Manual I have it should be comewhere behind the center console near the EEC but I can't seeanything but the tubing for my heater/AC... Now what? Man, this is a seriousl learning time for this car... I'll know this dang thing like the back of my hand by the time I get it fixed from this problem...

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Did you check the fuel shut-off swtch in the trunk? If you hit a big bump it may have triggered it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't even hit a bump, the car was just making a right turn and died... but yes that was one of the first things I checked.. is it possible that the fuel pump relay could be located back there on the 1.8 engines, cause it definitely isn't where it is on the 1.9 engines...

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
have you looked in the fuse box under the hood. should be drivers side towards the back of the engine compartment right along the fender. pop the lid open and check it out, look for any burnt out fuses.

also, have you checked the emergency fuel shut off? that will be in the trunk on the passengers side. just pop the little panel off and make sure the emergency shut off is not turned on.

hopefully we can get this figured out here soon and get you on the road again.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I checked the Inertia switch in the trunk first thing, it was never tripped, and the fuses up front look fine, I went to a Ford dealer and the mechanic there said it's [robably that relay, but I don't think that the 1.8's have that, I think there is something in lieu of ht traditional relay. but I have no clue what... He knew where it should be located on the 1.9's but not on the 1.8's...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
you said it stopped responding to throttle... did you check the throttle body and throttle cable? Pretty easy to pull the intake off and make sure the butterfly valve isn't stuck open/closed.

If you turn the car to ON and leave the radio off, can you hear your fuel pump?

Are you sure you're getting spark to the cylinders? Battery might be good but ignition coil might have taken a crapper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts